My Traeger Mods...So Far

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good reads. Curious where folks are getting their Fire bricks like you have pictured here. Are there any specifics I should be looking for when shopping for them?

The last ones I got, I got at "Tractor Supply".
That was a long time ago, but I imagine they still sell them.

Bear

I picked up some 2-1/2" thick fire bricks from a local supplier $1.60, I will adding to smoker today to hopefully get better temps for my weekend smoke

Did you notice a difference in the amount of pellets you use with the bricks vs without the bricks? I would think that you would use fewer pellets since it will hold the temps better once it got there? Also could that be the reason for the decreased smoke (decreased pellet use)?

Reactions: kerstingm
Did you notice a difference in the amount of pellets you use with the bricks vs without the bricks? I would think that you would use fewer pellets since it will hold the temps better once it got there? Also could that be the reason for the decreased smoke (decreased pellet use)?

After two long cooks the past two days I have to say I only used a quarter of the pellets I've used in the past. I also noticed it hit my set temps quicker and only had a 5 to 10 degree temp swing
The smoke was about the same as before,

I'm catching up with all of you. I finally put my Ortech TR100 and a box of fire bricks in my junior. It happily craddled 4 racks of ribs, in my rib racks. A lid gasket is next. Thank you for sharing all of your ideas and implementations.

Good reads. Curious where folks are getting their Fire bricks like you have pictured here. Are there any specifics I should be looking for when shopping for them?
I bought mine at Ace Hardware. I think you want kiln bricks, from a pottery supply store, or other high temp bricks, like those from a pizza oven.
When I combined these with my Ortech controller upgrade, my smoking temp's smoothed out.

Just finished a mini tabletop smokehouse for my Traeger with 5 racks. Time to make some jerky.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_105954.jpg
    IMG_20210110_105954.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20210110_113627.jpg
    IMG_20210110_113627.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 153
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky