My take on mashed potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
I never really got too excited about mashed potatoes. I mean, they're pretty basic. A while back I decided to try and make them something special.
This isn't really a recipe, as I've never written it down or measured anything. It's just how I do it.

Ingredients:
Yukon Gold potatoes. I usually use 4 or 5 for 3-4 servings.
Parsnips. I usually use 2 large ones.
Butter. Obviously. About 3 tablespoons.
Heavy cream. Yes you can use milk. No it won't be as good.
Grated Parmesan. Get a hunk and grate it yourself. Really.
Nutmeg. Again, fresh grated. A little goes a long way.
Garlic. Fresh or powder. To taste.
Salt and pepper.

Cut the potatoes and parsnips into uniform pieces. If the parsnips are huge, the core will be tough so cut it out. Boil until tender. 15-20 minutes. Drain and return to the pot on the hot burner. Stir the potatoes around until the steam stops. You're just drying them here.
Add your butter and stir around until it melts. At this point I usually go ahead and mash them so I can see what the consistency will be. I'll then add cream until it's where I want it. Pro tip, heat your cream so it doesn't cool off your potatoes.
Now I'll just add the rest of the ingredients and stir them in. For this amount of potatoes and parsnips, I'll usually use about a third cup (after grating) Parmesan and maybe a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg.
These are great for fall. The earthiness of the parsnips, Parmesan and nutmeg play very well with the rich creaminess. Give it a try!

That is a great recipe.

It's almost the way we make them, and your right, it has to be heavy cream!!

Al

I LOVE parsnips! They go great roasted with other root vegetables. Never thought of mashing them. Great idea!

I have made lemon mashed potatoes when we have fish. Grate the zest of a lemon into your mashed potatoes gives it a great bright lemon flavor.

Horseradish mashed potatoes with prime rib. Add a couple of tablespoons of creamed horseradish to your potatoes. Garlic is another flavor I have used.

Also run them through a food mill if you want velvety smooth potatoes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky