My New Toy Came Today - Food Saver V2244

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sonofasmoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 23, 2016
Cumming, GA
I already vacuum sealed everything in sight.....cant wait for my wife to see the TV remotes 
roflmao.gif

One of the best tools I own! You're going to wonder how you ever lived without it.

The remotes are now splash proof at your place! You might consider vac packing important papers. It has saved people a lot of trouble after floods due to nature or bad plumbing.

Congrats on the new foodsaver!

You will wonder how you ever lived without one.

I use the canisters to make dill pickles in 5 days instead of 3 months.

All sorts of uses including marinating meat.

Have fun!

Al

When I bought mine my lovely wife rolled her eyes at me (again). Now days SHE uses it every week. If you're empty nesters it a mandatory kitchen tool. 

We just ground 20 pounds of chuck last week. Guess who was working the sealer?  LOL 

We bought a food saver first go round. I traded up this year to a vacmaster and passed the old one down to my son. He loves it! b

I've had mine for fifteen years. If you don't have it, the canister attachment is a an essential add-on. I use it with canning jars to store things like soups. I often eat things that have been in the fridge for 1-2 months, and have had great success with meats that have been frozen for well over a year.

If you really get into preserving things, you might look into getting mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. If you use these, and dehydrate first, you can keep some foods for a decade or longer. This doesn't require the vacuum device, although if you use the vacuum AND use the oxygen absorber, you can remove almost every molecule of oxygen.

Another trick for preserving is to use the CO2 from your Sodastream carbonator (if you have one). For instance, I put strawberries into a canister, add CO2, and then remove just enough CO2 so the lid is sealed on, but not enough to cause the pressure to go way down (about 1-2 seconds of vacuuming). Put the strawberries in the fridge, and they will keep for 3-5 days, rather than turning to must in just a few days.

Like BD , my wife and I are also empty nesters and the food saver is a Life Saver , Just imagine tomorrow night we are having a rack of spare ribs that I smoked about a month ago . I always smoke extra of everything and it makes an easy midweek meal !!!

Like BD , my wife and I are also empty nesters and the food saver is a Life Saver , Just imagine tomorrow night we are having a rack of spare ribs that I smoked about a month ago . I always smoke extra of everything and it makes an easy midweek meal !!!
My wife and I are in the same boat. I still cook as if the kids were still at home (i.e., a LOT of food). The Foodsaver lets us take our time finishing off all the leftovers. What's more, they don't really taste like leftovers.

To that point, we bought ours so long ago that the Foodsaver was not yet being advertised on late-night infomercials. When the first of those extended TV ads appeared, we actually watched for about ten minutes in order to get some new tips and tricks, and also to reassure ourselves that this somewhat expensive item was worth the purchase. During that infomercial they kept repeating the following line. It is a classic, cheezy, infomercial line, but despite that, it really gets to the heart of what makes this so great. Here it is:

With the Foodsaver, you don't have leftovers, you have second helpings.

Bingo.

.I'm not sure which model I have....it was just purchased 6 months or less ago. Got all the bells and whistles in a package deal. Mason jar sealer, wine stopper seals, zipper lock bag sealer, and 5 or 6 containers. The machine itself works great, the accessories, most notably the containers.....not so good. I have never been able to get a reliable seal on any of the original containers sent with the machine. These are the white topped containers. Upon examining I found no silicone seal at the lip where the lid sits into the container. I ordered the new style containers ( Green lids with a visible sealing strip in the joint and a pop down indicator button )  These new containers do make a good seal, but I have had them lose vacuum when placed in the freezer. Love the machine and the bags....a bit disappointed in the containers though.

Do you have a method of choice for reheating BBQ thats cooked, frozen and packaged up? 

Al and Chef Jimmy turned me on to reheating the ribs on the grill ,I put them on indirect heat for about 15 min then cranked the burners up and gave both sides a little char . I swear they are better then when I take them straight off the smoker . For my bag of pulled pork (THAWED)I brought a pan of water to a boil turned off the heat and dropped the bag in for about 20 mins , it was nice and hot a still very moist 1

Do you have a method of choice for reheating BBQ thats cooked, frozen and packaged up? 
I put a pan of water on my portable induction cooktop and then set the temperature control on that to whatever temp I want the food to be when it is served. I then plop the Foodsave bag, with the frozen or partially thawed BBQ, into the pan and let it reheat in the pouch. This is a little like sous vide and, like that process, doing it this way keeps from over-heating the leftovers. This isn't so important for pulled pork, which was heated to 205 when it was cooked, but it is really important for other BBQ items that you only cooked to 145 - 160. If you heat up those items too much, or heat them in the microwave, resulting in hot spots that get up to 200 degrees, you can really change the character of the food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky