My mods for gosm (Now with jet burner)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michael ark

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Jonesboro Ar
e2001c2f_pictures4807.jpg
6d5a70aa_pictures4809.jpg
1c4af093_pictures4812.jpg
I got most of it from harbor freight ,such as the welding blanket the magnets red are 30lbs and the black is 100lb.The super glue i use on the cuts to keep it from fraying.The air tight and ell are rated to 500f and are from Lowe's can on the end was burnt out and painted with high temp paint.It's 42f and it's running at 200f with a water pan.I used a dermal and carved H,M,L,O  in the knob and painted it so i could tell what i have it set on . Drippings fat has washed the old almost off.I have a 1" thick piece of steel in the very back of the smoker as a heat sink.The 2" thermometer has a 2" probe.

Last edited:
looks nice how bout a better shot of the flue?

something is wrong with that bottle of beam   it's clear! 

I'll get more pictures in tommorro.The beam bottle just brought some hot water out to fill my pan.The flue is adjustable so i can turn it away from the wind or off my deck.

I own one of the original GOSM Charcoal model. Extremely heavy and thicker metal than the new propane ones. I did mod it with a single burner propane stove. The first one I had worked great, but it eventually gave out. My replacement doesn't quite get as hot and on colder days (yes we get some extreme cold in NW Florida) I struggle to get to 275º.

I have found using Playbox Sand instead of water will afford you a higher and more consistent temperature also. Not sure if you have every tried that?

I was doing my mods to keep my water pan not git rid of it.That's why i put 30 lb of steel in it as a heat sink.I know i can take it out and get higher temps.

I was doing my mods to keep my water pan not git rid of it.That's why i put 30 lb of steel in it as a heat sink.I know i can take it out and get higher temps.

You are not getting rid of the Water Pan, you are just using playbox sand instead of using water.  Using the steel does the same thing. You can use lava rocks too, much lighter.,

Last edited:
What are you hoping the water will do? Add moisture??

Wood and charcoal has carcinogens also.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...DLKf9uwxwEx1A3Mnw&sig2=YLBFqLU9kIqLzltSF-pMRw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EAAQgTosJN5w6bULw&sig2=t4b10-bWSFtjD9ReiIog0g

My reason is just that water, especially in your colder climate will keep you temps down. It does add moisture, but very little. It is there for a heat sink and does little else. EVen here in N. Florida we can get dang cold. By using the sand, it does not evaporate or stay cool like water can in colder temps. It does not evaporate. Thus keeping higher and more constant heat.

Just a suggestion, nothing more. Many on SMF use sand, some all the time. I only use it during the colder months of the year.

As to your link posted:

>>All this said, beaches and most playbox sand is not considered much of a problem since it is course and without a lot of respirable particles.<<

>>that eating the sand does not put you at higher risk from the possible silica and asbestos. Those chemicals are harmful if they are breathed in; the route of exposure of concern is inhalational, not oral or dermal (through skin). <<

Of course we are not eating the sand, but the BBQ.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
What part of i want to keep my water pan do you not understand?I work on high and low pressure boilers that kick out 3 to 6  29 ft long flames if you have looked at my profile .I would sooner rip out my burrner than make this a sand smoker.

What part of i want to keep my water pan do you not understand?I work on high and low pressure boilers that kick out 3 to 6  29 ft long flames if you have looked at my profile .I would sooner rip out my burrner than make this a sand smoker.

LOL, hey sorry man. I saw the welding blanket and gasket sealer so figured you were trying to raise your smokers temps. Didn't realize it was to keep the water in it. Oh and at 43º and using sand, my non welding blanket, no gasket GOSM will do 250º - 275º. Smoke on brother. Just offering some knowledge.

Last edited:
Put another layer of insulation on it now it's running at 225f on low in the rain with the water pan.
4ad3f199_propane012.jpg
45e1ab37_propane018.jpg

Last edited:
It's too bad that Great Outdoors decided to cut down on the metal thickness when they went from Charcoal to Propane. Made them less insulated that way, but your working it out.

Well the other night i tried to cook hot wings .It took 4 hr  cause it was 29f with a 5 mph wind gusts.I opened the smoker after 2 hr and the wings weren't done it took another hr to regain 250 in the smoker.I was running it with no pan.
c7e6203a_gosmmods006.jpg
No after pictures was tired of messing with it .So yesterday i fixed it were that would not be a problem any more.I removed the burner and sat my jet burner fish fryer under it.

7188e26a_gosmmods028.jpg

I had to put the legs on blocks of wood to make it tall enough and then put some tin around it to make a wind break .
4b9e0c3d_gosmmods023.jpg

05ff0774_gosmmods022.jpg
Another picture of inside.

25980aad_gosmmods025.jpg
Yes i know i need to wash it out in the pictures .But it was cold and i didn't want to work in wet conditions. O yea if you see one of those fuel gauges like this save your money.This is on a full tank and it shows empty.

37714d04_gosmmods012.jpg

This works better.
718d69e1_gosmmods2003.jpg
It goes up to 50 lb .Just hang your tank when you want to know what's in it.

Last edited:
How does that welding blanket do for maintaining temp? I have the same GOSM and during the day the temps fluctuate, direct sun, clouds and wind really affect it. I'm looking for a way to control that and this looks like a good idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky