My MES30 got a new toy today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 7, 2017
Flint, Michigan
20180925_161735.jpg

Tbqh, I was worried about the fractional returns with such a long draft. It's about 65" total on the diagonal.

But the draft improvement has been great. I run a mailbox mod, with a damper and lower holes drilled in the door. More and more I had been having Backdraft issues depending on how the wind was going, but my previous exhaust only stuck out about a foot above the window. Especially after adding the plate that ported my smoke more towards the left side of the top of the smoker. As I own a 2007-0910 model.

I think next I'm going to try to bring the flexible duct more in line with the house with tap-cons and brackets on the brick and see if I realize diminishing returns with adding the different shapes into the chimney exhaust. one way or the other I've got to paint them with a blended paint job on the duct instead of just on the top because that silver sticks out something horrible.

What you can't see in the pic is that the rain cap, mounts, and solid metal parts are painted to match the clay colored soffit

Last edited:
As the smoke cools down it will turn back into moisture and run back down the pipe. Think twice before you start
tap-conning!

Reactions: fivetricks
Yes it was that amongst many other things that were my concern about altering the straight angle on my existing pipe.

My problem with the logic that you are speaking is that I have tested repeatedly for condensation run back on that long run of pipe and I just haven't found any.

The science says exactly what you say it should and quite frankly I wouldn't mind the homemade liquid smoke but I just haven't found any.

But as I've sat and looked at it I would probably move the smoker so that I wouldn't have that big ugly run before I would start making a bunch of twists and turns in it. It just seems Anti-intuitive

I agree, be careful with the condensation. Last winter I spied an unused piece of snap lock dryer duct pipe and put it on top of my MES 30 just to see how much it would help with the draft and to keep the smoke out of my face. It does work very well when I use it, but, there were a few times when I almost had the condensation run into the smoker.

@richie

I keep the mes inside the garage for a couple of reasons.

1. Overnight smoke on a large or several large pieces of meat? Psh. I set my thermos and go. To. Bed.

Or more likely I smash 100 beers with friends and stay up all night. But either way, I don't need to worry about rain affecting my smoker or any of my digital thermos.

2. I live in Michigan. Many winter months. Keeping the smoker inside my heated garage pays dividens for obvious reasons.

As far as condensation, I've had my previous chimney for years and never had issues with condensation. But with this longer run I will keep alert.

I spoke with someone about this whole issue today and he figured that making it more flush with the exterior shouldn't be too bad. that it would be similar to stovepipe. But he did acknowledge that the 90 degree level runs are the ones that rust out first.

like I said this is a first-draft. I will tweak and play with it and if I have to move it all differently than that's what I will do.

@richie

I keep the mes inside the garage for a couple of reasons.

1. Overnight smoke on a large or several large pieces of meat? Psh. I set my thermos and go. To. Bed.

Or more likely I smash 100 beers with friends and stay up all night. But either way, I don't need to worry about rain affecting my smoker or any of my digital thermos.

2. I live in Michigan. Many winter months. Keeping the smoker inside my heated garage pays dividens for obvious reasons.

As far as condensation, I've had my previous chimney for years and never had issues with condensation. But with this longer run I will keep alert.

I spoke with someone about this whole issue today and he figured that making it more flush with the exterior shouldn't be too bad. that it would be similar to stovepipe. But he did acknowledge that the 90 degree level runs are the ones that rust out first.

like I said this is a first-draft. I will tweak and play with it and if I have to move it all differently than that's what I will do.

Never seen a garage with that nice of a window and brick work.I used mine in my shed more then once.
Richie

My wife would shoot me on the spot if I removed a pane of glass to run a smoker exhaust through the window. Good luck and let us know how it works during the wetter/colder seasons. Interesting idea.

Chris

Well you see I didn't have to worry about removing the pane of glass because the previous owners smashed the window for us when they moved out!

I was pretty angry about it at first and then my mind started drawing a picture of my smoker sitting there and I calmed down :-)

Reactions: Ben58
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky