My MES140 controller dead!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can you tell us how the $50. plug in unit works if you DONT rewire the MES
Like workin with someone that always has a better idea than you do no matter what .

2 thermostats , 2 brains one element . Don't work out .
If the new plug in controller is set for 250 , and you set the stock controller to 275 . If the stock controller thinks it's 275 and it's only 225 , it opens the circuit and shuts the element off .

Like workin with someone that always has a better idea than you do no matter what .

2 thermostats , 2 brains one element . Don't work out .
If the new plug in controller is set for 250 , and you set the stock controller to 275 . If the stock controller thinks it's 275 and it's only 225 , it opens the circuit and shuts the element off .
Thank you! I was on the right track.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thank you! I was on the right track.

Chopsaw put it very well.

Also know that right now the stock MES controller is also the on/off switch for electricity to go to your heating element and with the MES controller removed OR with the MES controller not coming on then your smoker cannot have the "on" switch flipped to allow electricity to the heating element. By default your MES power switch is "off" that is why you can plug your MES in without the controller on the unit and it doesnt heat up.

If you didn't rewire and you simply hooked the $50 controller to your MES you would still need the stock controller to turn on AND you would have to set it to the max 275F temp so it would allow electricity to feed to the heating element. Then you run into the situation Chop mentions where now you have 2 controllers trying to manage a single heating element but the MES controller would be the ultimate gatekeeper of on/off power to the heating element.

The simple rewire bypasses all the MES electronics so the MES plug feeds power directly to the heating element while still keeping the overheating safety cut off switch in the circuit (safety rollout limit switch).

So no matter what if you want to properly use a different controller than the stock MES controller you have to rewire.

Good questions keep em coming. You seem to be picking it up pretty well and this stuff will get clearer as we go along :)

Reactions: PAS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky