My little buddy has gone to the great BBQ in the sky. RIP Boomer aka Skidmark... you'll be dearly missed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm really sorry to hear this Chris. He sure looked like he was a good boy. I always enjoyed seeing him in your posts. You and your wife take care.

Last edited:
What a beautiful boy. Damn I hate it when I get teary eyed but we love the puppies.
The best therapy is another fur baby. There are so many dogs and cats that need a good home and someone to love them.
You're in my thoughts Chris. Thanks for sharing Skidmark with us.

Yup most all of ours has come from the SPCA.

Warren

Reactions: texomakid
Always so very hard saying goodbye to a friend. Such soulful eyes.

I play that Henry Gross tune dozens of times every time I lose a pet.

Sorry for the loss of your companion. :emoji_disappointed:

JC :emoji_cat:

Sorry for your loss.

"
Long May You Run"

We've been through
some things together
With trunks of memories
still to come
We found things to do
in stormy weather
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
With your chrome heart shining
in the sun
Long may you run.

Well, it was
back in Blind River in 1962
When I last saw you alive
But we missed that shift
on the long decline
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
in the sun
Long may you run.

Maybe The Beach Boys
have got you now
With those waves
singing "Caroline No"
Rollin' down
that empty ocean road
Gettin' to the surf on time.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
in the sun
Long may you run."

Neil Young

What a beautiful boy. Damn I hate it when I get teary eyed but we love the puppies.
The best therapy is another fur baby. There are so many dogs and cats that need a good home and someone to love them.
You're in my thoughts Chris. Thanks for sharing Skidmark with us.

Thanks Tex, All of our dogs have come from either the humane society or they were abandoned. Skid was left by someone in one of my daughters friends barns as a young puppy. Harley(aka Stink) was left in a box with his brothers and sisters on the side of a highway in front of our Vets. office. We're thinking skid was our last puppy, as the wife and I want to travel and it wouldn't be fair to leave it friends, but you never really know what's down the road.

I'm really sorry to hear this Chris. He sure looked like he was a good boy. I always enjoyed seeing him in your posts. You and your wife take care.

Thanks Gator. He was a big part of our lives.

Yup most all of ours has come from the SPCA.

Warren

Ours have all been adopted or rescued also Warren.

Chris

Loosing a pet can be tough. I feel your pain. Sorry for your loss

Appreciate that tag, I've turned my head a few times tonight thinking I've heard him bark to come in.

Always so very hard saying goodbye to a friend. Such soulful eyes.

I play that Henry Gross tune dozens of times every time I lose a pet.

Sorry for the loss of your companion. :emoji_disappointed:

JC :emoji_cat:

I liked that song in 76 when it came out. Then I found out the meaning and liked it even more. Thanks JC and like you I've already played it about 5 times today.

Sorry for your loss.

"
Long May You Run"

We've been through
some things together
With trunks of memories
still to come
We found things to do
in stormy weather
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
in the sun
Long may you run.

Well, it was
back in Blind River in 1962
When I last saw you alive
But we missed that shift
on the long decline
Long may you run.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
in the sun
Long may you run.

Maybe The Beach Boys
have got you now
With those waves
singing "Caroline No"
Rollin' down
that empty ocean road
Gettin' to the surf on time.

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes
have come
in the sun
Long may you run."

Neil Young

Thanks Bill, Neils voice is perfect for that touching song.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Sorry for your loss Chris. Lost many dogs over the years. Sucks everytime

You got that right Jake. It's the only drawback to having pets. At least we got to enjoy 13 years of each others company. Thanks for the memories Boomer

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB and TNJAKE
My condolences to your family.
I have one that is nearing the dreaded moment also. Never easy.

* RIP Skidmark*

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear this news Chris losing a good dog is brutal. I've become a big wimp in my old age. I just can't handle the heartbreak any longer it's too tough on me these days.
Sorry for your loss bud......RIP Skidmark!!!

Dan

My condolences to your family.
I have one that is nearing the dreaded moment also. Never easy.

* RIP Skidmark*

Thank you winterrider, The rainbow bridge poem describes just what I'm hoping for.

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear this news Chris losing a good dog is brutal. I've become a big wimp in my old age. I just can't handle the heartbreak any longer it's too tough on me these days.
Sorry for your loss bud......RIP Skidmark!!!

Dan

Thank you Dan. I've also become a softy in my old age. Even though I've been thru it a few times before, and was expecting it. It's still tough emotionally.

Chris

Damn, Chris, I'm really sad to hear this. Just saw your post on Skidmark this morning.
There's not much in life sadder that having to part with an old friend. My Roxy is getting real close to that point in life, and I absolutely dread the coming of that day--I know exactly how devastated I'll be.
Miss Linda still misses her Addy. The pain lessens as the years go by, but it's still lingers. It helps to keep remembering all the good times you shared.
Gary

Reactions: GATOR240
So sorry. The hardest thing in life to go threw. One of the reasons I wanted to retire to spend with my aging dog.

My friend I got my dog from wrote this when she lost hers recently. I will warn you it will make you cry but crying can be good.

Carla and I sit here on the porch in the afternoon sun. She's soaking in the warmth after I cleaned her up a bit.
While she is waiting for her ride to heaven, I imagine we have a chat.
Remember when you came here from Argentina? I was worried about you viciously scaring the air freight guys. You didn't like them. But you seemed happy to ride home with me. All excited and belly full of puppies.
You had a great litter. She smiles.
I picture her grinning at me with a smashed Kong in her mouth refusing to give it up. What an imp you were!
I can still bite hard, she quips. Yes you can.
Remember when you climbed like a spider out of the kennel time and time again? Yep.
I built the kennel taller.
How about all the times you took off all night long hunting the ever so hated armadillo? Still hate em, she grumbles. You were a little rocket!
Then you finally caught one and brought it into the front door! Triumphant , she barks. I was mad but could not stop laughing as I shooed it out the door. I was the Queen, she says. Mischievous, I say back. We laugh.
Never could figure out why you ate that washcloth, shaking my head. Me either, she nods.
I love you anyway you little monster.
I would have bitten the delivery guys for you, she says.
I know, I nod, you are a smart girl.
She turns her head to look at me - but it's no fun now and it's time to go. My chariot awaits, she says.
I reluctantly agree.
Carla Esquina del Sol Schh2

Thank you winterrider, The rainbow bridge poem describes just what I'm hoping for.

Thank you Dan. I've also become a softy in my old age. Even though I've been thru it a few times before, and was expecting it. It's still tough emotionally.

Chris
Yep! It really sucks bad for a while after that while it just stinks.

View attachment 473457

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but between work and spending as much time as I could with skidmark. It's been a tough week. This morning around 3:30 we had to put my little buddy to sleep. He'll be greatly missed.

Chris

This is a song by Henry Gross written as a tribute to Shannon. Carl Wilson(of the beach boys) dog when she passed away.

awwww Man. I am so, so sorry. Think of the fun days he had with you.

Sorry to hear this Chris. there is no truer love than what a dog will give ya.
Jim

Thank you Jim, He never wavered.

Damn, Chris, I'm really sad to hear this. Just saw your post on Skidmark this morning.
There's not much in life sadder that having to part with an old friend. My Roxy is getting real close to that point in life, and I absolutely dread the coming of that day--I know exactly how devastated I'll be.
Miss Linda still misses her Addy. The pain lessens as the years go by, but it's still lingers. It helps to keep remembering all the good times you shared.
Gary

Stay strong Gary, it isn't an easy decision to make. At least skid didn't make it difficult. His heart started failing him that morning. We were lucky and the Vet hospital let us be with him during to process. With Covid I was worried about that. I didn't want him to be alone.

Chris

So sorry. The hardest thing in life to go threw. One of the reasons I wanted to retire to spend with my aging dog.

My friend I got my dog from wrote this when she lost hers recently. I will warn you it will make you cry but crying can be good.

Carla and I sit here on the porch in the afternoon sun. She's soaking in the warmth after I cleaned her up a bit.
While she is waiting for her ride to heaven, I imagine we have a chat.
Remember when you came here from Argentina? I was worried about you viciously scaring the air freight guys. You didn't like them. But you seemed happy to ride home with me. All excited and belly full of puppies.
You had a great litter. She smiles.
I picture her grinning at me with a smashed Kong in her mouth refusing to give it up. What an imp you were!
I can still bite hard, she quips. Yes you can.
Remember when you climbed like a spider out of the kennel time and time again? Yep.
I built the kennel taller.
How about all the times you took off all night long hunting the ever so hated armadillo? Still hate em, she grumbles. You were a little rocket!
Then you finally caught one and brought it into the front door! Triumphant , she barks. I was mad but could not stop laughing as I shooed it out the door. I was the Queen, she says. Mischievous, I say back. We laugh.
Never could figure out why you ate that washcloth, shaking my head. Me either, she nods.
I love you anyway you little monster.
I would have bitten the delivery guys for you, she says.
I know, I nod, you are a smart girl.
She turns her head to look at me - but it's no fun now and it's time to go. My chariot awaits, she says.
I reluctantly agree.
Carla Esquina del Sol Schh2

Thank you Brian, that was very touching.

awwww Man. I am so, so sorry. Think of the fun days he had with you.

Thank you,
I have a ton of good memories to fall back on, but I think the hardest thing for me - will be firing up the smokers or kettle for the first time without him by my side.

Chris

• Love
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky