My insulation project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BilboBaggins

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2021
With the cold weather coming in, I was told I should insulate my smoker. I went to the orange hardware store and found some supplies to make my own.

I found this 4' x 9' insulation panel for $9 and a pack of magnets for $5. When I got home I gathered some other supplies I would need.
IMG_5159.jpg

I measured and cut out panels for the sides and back. Since I had enough material, I doubled the panels and glued them together.
IMG_5161.jpg

One of the panels glued together.
IMG_5162.jpg

Weighing the panels down to let the glue set.
IMG_5163.jpg

I messed up with the magnets. I though I bought peel and stick magnets, but I didn't; so I had to glue them.
IMG_5164.jpg

Two side panels and a back panel assembled. I made cut-outs for the latch and the chip tube.
IMG_5165.jpg

One side of the smoker with the panel attached.
IMG_5166.jpg

Other side of the smoker.
IMG_5167.jpg

I still have enough material to cover the top, if I need to.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_5160.jpg
    IMG_5160.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
I would for sure do the top personally. Heat rises right? That looks like a great set up you have going. Let us know how it work for longer smokes. I would imagine it will you’ll have great heat retention. Very nicely done.

With the cold weather coming in, I was told I should insulate my smoker. I went to the orange hardware store and found some supplies to make my own.

I found this 4' x 9' insulation panel for $9 and a pack of magnets for $5. When I got home I gathered some other supplies I would need.
View attachment 522316

I measured and cut out panels for the sides and back. Since I had enough material, I doubled the panels and glued them together.
View attachment 522318

One of the panels glued together.
View attachment 522319

Weighing the panels down to let the glue set.
View attachment 522320

I messed up with the magnets. I though I bought peel and stick magnets, but I didn't; so I had to glue them.
View attachment 522321

Two side panels and a back panel assembled. I made cut-outs for the latch and the chip tube.
View attachment 522322

One side of the smoker with the panel attached.
View attachment 522323

Other side of the smoker.
View attachment 522324

I still have enough material to cover the top, if I need to.

Thanks for looking.
Im so glad to live in the south where we don't see temps bad enough to do this all the time. Pretty good set up with the magnets

Reactions: forktender
Thanks, everyone, for the comments. Good call, dr k dr k on the edges. I ran my torch around each panel and it helped a bunch.

Reactions: dr k
Magnets demagnetize at 176F. I've experienced this with rectangular neodymium magnets on my electric smoker I used to limit air flow. They work for a while, then slide off.

Reactions: tallbm
Im planning a very similar.project for my gas smoker. I plan on using thin aluminum bars on the sides and just screwing them into the side of the smoker. Just plain screws and washers would work as well.

I found this 6" pvc coupling for windy and /or cold days. I just use it all the time to keep smoke and water vapor above the PID controller. Too heavy to blow off smoker in 45+ winds being round and butt against handle. No drafting from open bottom. Rising air out of smoker keeps air from blowing into the smoker from the top and flows through and out the open bottom. Temporary table you can put a baking sheet with meat on top of the coupling as it'll just vent out the bottom till you remove the baking sheet.
20171219_144542.jpg
20170320_143220.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky