my garlic harvest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried growing garlic 2 years a row but to no avail nothing, I live in Iowa so any ideas or tips would help. Thanks, Nice looking garlic, Big Guy.

Garlic requires rich soil, full sun and lots of water. There are two main types of garlic, hard neck and soft neck. Hard neck has a hard round central stem in the center like a Tulip flower, soft neck has no central stem. Garlic needs to be planted in the fall, now is a good time.

I first prepare my bed with manure, work it in then I plant my garlic cloves 6" deep 6" apart in rows 12" apart. I usually plant mid Oct to the end of Nov. This gives the clove a chance to set out roots before freeze up. I cover my beds with 6" of leaves before the snow comes and leave this on all year it prevents winter kill and when spring comes keeps the weeds down. Garlic is one of the earliest plants to come up in the spring and pushes up through the leaves easily. About mid June a flower stem will shoot up (hard neck) I cut these off but do not cut off the leaves. You can chop up these young shoots called "scapes" and use them like garlic. I remove them so the plants put all their energy into the bulb. If you leave them on they will develop a flower which will set tiny bulbs. I usually harvest once the leaves start to die back usually about the end of July. If you harvest too soon your bulbs will be smaller, too late and the bulbs start to split apart, a week can make a big difference. They need about 1" of water a week, so if you haven't had enough rain, water them. Follow these instructions and you will have nice garlic. Save some of your garlic to replant for the next year. Save the biggest and best garlic for our seed eat the rest. I have been doing this for over 30 years and I have the best garlic in the area.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky