My Frigidaire Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinpops

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
O'Fallon, Missouri
Hello,

First of all I want to thank all the members in this forum.  I have been quietly lurking around out here to gather information regarding my build.  This site was a wealth of knowledge for me.  I have been working on this build on and off for about a year now.  I have run about half dozen smokes with GREAT success.  

My build included the following:

1). 1951 Frigidaire (by General Motors) Refrigerator.

2). 2 inches Ceramic fiber for insulation.

3). Auber Instruments for temperature control

1 X 1/16 DIN PID

1 K type thermocouple 4" probe

1 25A SSR 

1 Heat Sink for Solid State Relay 25A

3). Smoke Daddy Smoke Generator

4). Stainless Steel fabricated interior (local fabricator).

5). 1550 watt finned strip heating element

6). From Lowes: Wiring, Caster, Wood, etc ... 

Here are some pictures from my build.

Cheers ...

SmokinPops

2" Ceramic Fiber for insulation:

Fabricated Stainless Interior

1550 Watt Finned Strip Heater

Smoke Stack from inside:

Top view where stack screws in:

Storage where compressor use to be.  Left side is used for grease drain.

PID Controller:

Smoke Daddy Smoke Generator

thats a sharp kooker. i just joined because i was curious about he cold smoke generators, how do you like the smoke daddy?

Qundoy if your in the market for a cold smoker you gotta check out the AMNPS, I recently got one after reading nothing but positive reviews on this forum and have to say it is by far the best thing  i've ever bought foe bbq.  It is such a simple concept and it works flawlessly, and can be had at a fraction of smoke daddy.  I have never used a smoke daddy i just know my amnps is truly amazing!    A-MAZE-N Products, LLC

Last edited:
Qundoy,

I have had no issues with the Smoke Daddy, actually I REALLY like it.  I know it cost more the the AMNPS, but there is one thing I didn't like about AMNPS is that you have to open your smoker to check/adjust your smoke.  Plus, I don't understand why people want to smoke for 10 hours.  Whats the point?  Once your meat reaches around 140 degrees it stops taking on any smoke.  

That's my two cents ...

SmokinPOPS

Qundoy,

I have had no issues with the Smoke Daddy, actually I REALLY like it.  I know it cost more the the AMNPS, but there is one thing I didn't like about AMNPS is that you have to open your smoker to check/adjust your smoke.  Plus, I don't understand why people want to smoke for 10 hours.  Whats the point?  Once your meat reaches around 140 degrees it stops taking on any smoke.  

That's my two cents ...

SmokinPOPS
Many things are smoked for 8 - 10 hours or more. 

Actually the smoke ring is what stops forming at 140* - meat will keep taking on smoke flavor as long as it is being smoked. Just saying...

EDIT: I forgot to add that you did a great job with your build - that's a fine looking unit 
thumb1.gif

Last edited:
The fridge looks great. Really professional. You can make something to go on the outside of your smoker to hold an amns if thats the route you wanted to go. Like a mailbox mod but you could use anything if you don't like the looks of the mailbox. If the smoke daddy works then there's no reason to change it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. I had originally made my own version of the smoke daddy when I started my electric smoker but I didn't like the smoke I got. I ended up getting an amnps and doing the mailbox on intake.

One of the nagginig questions i have read about the venturi style generators is the potential for the acrid heavy smoke it can produce. Has anyone had this issue and if so how was it remedied.

Thanks for any input. I am just starting my build and i like the idea of an external smoke unit i can light and walk away for a few hours. 

Qundoy,

That's my two cents ...

SmokinPOPS
Not necessarily true, see: http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeRingMoist.html  and http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeParticles.html

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky