my first UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duck killer 1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 22, 2009
Rolla, MO
i had been given some food grade barrels recently and started to build a uds out of 1 of them, let me tell ya that liner is a pain to get out of there! well last weekend a friend of mine gave me some BRAND NEW! barrels that didn't have a liner in them!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
so i abandoned the other barrels and started over. enjoy the qview!

this barrel is brand new!

no liner! thats a beautiful thing! never been used for anything!

drilled the air intake holes with a step drill and also mounted the thermometer

the thermometer mounted easily using a wing nut that came with it

welded the 3/4 pipe nipples on the intake holes

the ol' hobarts doin perty good tonite

installed the riser with the ball valve and welded a stand-off to secure the riser from moving around

made a cute little charcoal basket

a view inside with the cooking rack installed. it looks like it's too far down inside in this pic but it really is only 8" or so down.
now all i need is to make the lid and season it then paint it. i should be able to finish it this weekend.

I think I have every part so far, now looking for the time ti build and burn out. Mine has the liner..... Your UDS is looking great !!!

I was wondering what would happen if you added a piece of sheet metal maybe 2 inches larger in diameter than the charcoal box? I would think it would greatly reduce radiant heat and also create turbulence resulting in a more even heat when smoking.

Pete

if you mean like a baffle plate, i suppose you could, but with the ability to control the intake air with the caps and ball valve you can maintain 225 by adjusting the ball valve and shouldnt have too much of a problem.

just got back to the shop and the plan is to finish this thing today and i'm going to do the season tonite and smoke 2 pork butts on it in the mornin early. so i'll have some qview for tomorrow hopefully!

petesque;491292 said:
I was wondering what would happen if you added a piece of sheet metal maybe 2 inches larger in diameter than the charcoal box? I would think it would greatly reduce radiant heat and also create turbulence resulting in a more even heat when smoking./quote]

It does many of those things but it also greatly increases the fuel usage and reduces the efficiency.

Some feel it is worth the trade off though.

Dave

well i got the UDS finished and was going to do an all nite smoke to send her on her maiden voyage but i can not stay awake so i will be using the traeger for the smoke tonite since i am going to get some sleep... at least a little anyway. so in the morning i will season her and smoke a couple fatties to make up for it. here's a little qview of the finished product.

a pic of the stack and the damper i made
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

well i seasoned her up this mornin and put on a pair of fatties here's the qview,

got the coals goin,

got the basket loaded,

poured in the coals and set some hickory on top,

got it seasoned and up to temp it ran 225 for almost an hour solid,

made a weave,

i like to put some glad wrap down and cut the wrapper off the chub and then put another layer of glad wrap on top of that that way i dont have to fight the rolling pin and the cutting board then you can remove the top layer of plastic and grab the bottom piece which makes it easier to lift and get in the right place,

put some cheese, onions, garlic powder, and a little sweet baby ray's on it,

on the UDS and cookin! can't wait!

Looks good duckkiller,

May I ask about the coffee can. In the early pics I thought you left it in there for the wood to get hot and smolder. But then in the pic where you said hot coals loaded it looks like either the can came out or you covered it over with coals.

Could you enlighten me please?

I loaded 2 fatties at 12:30 and a beer chicken at 1:00. Now I have seen yours and I'm starving. I think I may have over did it on my fatties. One barley fit on the plate. I have done no research on these as mine are pressed out flat, filler placed in the middle and then folded over with the bacon weave over the top and ends tucked under the bottom. Not sure if it was the right way so we shall soon see what happens.

well my approach with the coffee can is for putting the hot coals in the middle so the fire will work its way to the outside and i put the hickory chunks in the bottom of it so the smaller pieces would not fall through the grate. once i poured the coals inside the coffee can i pull it out and the rest of the coals fall inward as the middle burns out... in theory (of mine lol)

as for the way you built your fatty, i don't think there really is a right and a wrong way, there is only your way. that's what is great about this smoking thing, it gives you room to invent and you don't have to stick to an exact recipe. once you figure out the way you like it, then you make it a recipe to inspire others
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Everything looks great, word of caution! Leaving a chimney on concrete will result in scrapnel. Can't find the post right of the bat, maybe someone will chime in.

I've not read a post about it but I am thinking you may be referring to the loud pops and bangs that come from the concrete when it gets to hot.

About the coffee can..... looking and thinking, had me wondering if the coals in the can would cause the wood chunks to fire up and in turn light to much charcoal and make it to hot. Since this works for you, I think I'll give it a try next time. Thanks for the insite. This drum stuff is a whole different world for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky