my first UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No problem, thats why we are here.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I've used a coffee can lighting my WSM - and I also just dumped the chimney on top of the coals.

Couldn't tell any difference - fark the coffee can
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

Not being critical, just curious! Did your fatties burn on the bottom?  It looked a little black, the only reason I ask is I just acquired a UDS and am concerned about distance from the coals and whether or not I need to install a water shelf...

appreciate the feedback.

Not being critical, just curious! Did your fatties burn on the bottom?  It looked a little black, the only reason I ask is I just acquired a UDS and am concerned about distance from the coals and whether or not I need to install a water shelf...

appreciate the feedback.
Just keep your cooking grate 24" above the bottom of your charcoal grate and you should be fine, I think my charcoal grate is 10" tall, 3" off the bottom. I think my lowest grate is around 28" off the bottom. I think the charcoal just gets the bacon more done on the bottom. I also noticed that he used way more wood than is really required. I use about 1/2 or less of what is shown in this pic, and sometimes I feel it is still too much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky