My first turkey with q-view!!

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bigboy, May 18, 2013.

1. Brined the turkey (12 pound) overnight using a basic gallon of water and one cup or brown sugar and kosher salt. After rinsing and drying I mixed 2 sticks of butter with about a half of a small bottle of Montreal Poultry. I packed a good bit of this under the skin and rubbed the remainder all over the bird and sprinkled some more of the seasoning on top. I also stuffed the turkey with a quartered onion and an apple.

Just a quick pick of the WSM (best damn smoker over ever owned) getting up to temp. If you look real close you can see the reflection of my vertical brinkman smoker as well as a great looking guy ;-)

A pic of the bird after resting. Great looking color IMO and crispy skin!

The pics really don't show just how juicy this white meat was. I have always been a dark meat poultry guy but this white meat was AMAZING! The entire turkey took about 3.5 hours and I used Cherry for the entire smoke.

Hope you guys enjoy the view and I hope to add many more!

Thanks again for all of the help in the other thread. This board is amazing!

disco likes this.
  2. rstr hunter

rstr hunter Smoking Fanatic

Looks great.  I ove smoked turkey and cherry is my favorite smoking wood.  Enjoy.

3. It was very good! We love turkey and I didn't realize they would be this good and this easy.

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Great!!!

Nice Job!!!

Bear

5. wow! that looks amazing good job.

6. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice looking bird!!! 

Kat

7. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

That looks delicious, Bigboy! Glad to see it turned out so good! Nicely done, sir!

Red

8. I have a 10 lb. turkey breast that I am gonna smoke this Saturday and it's been a really long time since I have done any poultry on the smoker. How long did you let it rest, and what temps did your smoker run? I am trying to estimate a time frame for my smoke.

9. I let it rest for 75 minutes. I was going to let it rest for only 30 minutes but dinner was done a lot earlier then I expected so I left it for a whole longer. It was still very hot when I unwrapped the foil.

I cooked the turkey between 315 and 325 and it took like 3.5 hours.

10. Thanks! I was very worried for a while and haven't felt that "panic" feeling in a long time lol

Next time I think ill just tent the bird in an aluminum pan so the skin stays crispy.

11. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

A great plan and awesome results!! Reinhard

12. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I haven't done a turkey yet. Thanks for posting this.

13. Thanks a bunch! That's exactly the info I was looking for. [​IMG]

14. After this, I really don't think ill be putting another turkey in the oven again.

I just wish I had some left for some sammiches today!

15. choupic

choupic Fire Starter

That looks awesome ! Can't wait to try one or two for thanksgiving , and impress the in-laws.

16. smoke slinger

smoke slinger Smoking Fanatic

Turkey looks good, I have done a couple and best way to cook one in my opinion.

17. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like you nailed it! Thanksgiving will never be the same.

18. What other seasoning do some of you use on turkey?

19. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good job, Bigboy , my friend. Looks marvelous and I know it tasted great. [​IMG]  

Go forth and marvel you neighbors.

As always , have fun and . . .

20. hurriken

hurriken Smoke Blower

Take a Breast and season it with salt pepper, lemon zest, and fresh sage. Wrap it with Prosciutto and tie it on with cooking twine. It tastes awesome. Disclaimer: I've done it on my Weber like this but not the smoker.