My first turkey with q-view!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigboy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Delaware County, Pa
Brined the turkey (12 pound) overnight using a basic gallon of water and one cup or brown sugar and kosher salt. After rinsing and drying I mixed 2 sticks of butter with about a half of a small bottle of Montreal Poultry. I packed a good bit of this under the skin and rubbed the remainder all over the bird and sprinkled some more of the seasoning on top. I also stuffed the turkey with a quartered onion and an apple.

Just a quick pick of the WSM (best damn smoker over ever owned) getting up to temp. If you look real close you can see the reflection of my vertical brinkman smoker as well as a great looking guy ;-)

A pic of the bird after resting. Great looking color IMO and crispy skin!

The pics really don't show just how juicy this white meat was. I have always been a dark meat poultry guy but this white meat was AMAZING! The entire turkey took about 3.5 hours and I used Cherry for the entire smoke.

Hope you guys enjoy the view and I hope to add many more!

Thanks again for all of the help in the other thread. This board is amazing!

Reactions: disco
I have a 10 lb. turkey breast that I am gonna smoke this Saturday and it's been a really long time since I have done any poultry on the smoker. How long did you let it rest, and what temps did your smoker run? I am trying to estimate a time frame for my smoke.

I have a 10 lb. turkey breast that I am gonna smoke this Saturday and it's been a really long time since I have done any poultry on the smoker. How long did you let it rest, and what temps did your smoker run? I am trying to estimate a time frame for my smoke.

I let it rest for 75 minutes. I was going to let it rest for only 30 minutes but dinner was done a lot earlier then I expected so I left it for a whole longer. It was still very hot when I unwrapped the foil.

I cooked the turkey between 315 and 325 and it took like 3.5 hours.

That looks delicious, Bigboy! Glad to see it turned out so good! Nicely done, sir!

Red

Thanks! I was very worried for a while and haven't felt that "panic" feeling in a long time lol

Next time I think ill just tent the bird in an aluminum pan so the skin stays crispy.

I let it rest for 75 minutes. I was going to let it rest for only 30 minutes but dinner was done a lot earlier then I expected so I left it for a whole longer. It was still very hot when I unwrapped the foil.

I cooked the turkey between 315 and 325 and it took like 3.5 hours.
Thanks a bunch! That's exactly the info I was looking for. 
241.png

After this, I really don't think ill be putting another turkey in the oven again.

I just wish I had some left for some sammiches today!

Take a Breast and season it with salt pepper, lemon zest, and fresh sage. Wrap it with Prosciutto and tie it on with cooking twine. It tastes awesome. Disclaimer: I've done it on my Weber like this but not the smoker. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky