My first spatchcock chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
I'm trying my first spatchcock chicken.
I'm using Tip's Slaughterhouse Brine and Jeff's Texas style rub.

As you can see from the photo, I had some issues getting the rub to stay on the leg quarters even though I rubbed the bird down with olive oil. I wound up just sprinkling the rub on them right before I put the chicken in the smoker.

I also found that the rub tended to clump up a bit, too. Hopefully it'll be OK. Relying on a degree of beginner's luck.

Knowing tip personally  , I've used that brine often, along with other recipe type stuffs, Your bird will be great...

You can make your rub and mix it in butter.. lift the skin around the breast and thighs carefully.. and shove the rub butter under the skin too.. the skin will hold it in pockets and crisp up better if it's not firmly attached to the meat. [emoji]127866[/emoji] rub outside too..

Have fun! [emoji]127894[/emoji]

Last edited:
You can make your rub and mix it in butter.. lift the skin around the breast and thighs carefully.. and shove the rub butter under the skin too.. the skin will hold it in pockets and crisp up better if it's not firmly attached to the meat. [emoji]127866[/emoji] rub outside too..

Have fun! [emoji]127894[/emoji]

Yup! I do a wet rub as well but I use olive oil. Works great!

popcorn.gif
  Finished pics coming....?? 

:popcorn   Finished pics coming....?? 

Thanks, all!

My hat's definitely off to Tip! Never, in my 55 years, have I ever had such juicy, succulent chicken! The leg quarters were almost a religious experience but compared to the breast they were dry.

Everyone's mouth was watering and I was virtually attacked when I walked in the door. But I think my wife may have a shot or two also during carving. I'll check with her to see and upload them.

Reactions: ab canuck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky