My First Smoker Build - Please Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin jason

Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I actually only have a couple of questions.  This is my very first time attempting to build a smoker from scratch.  i have had some serious progress and i think it is coming out very well (full post on my build will be when im done and will include pics).  i used "Feldon's BBQ Pit/Smoker Build Calculator" for the dimensions of my design.  I am now down to the part where i need to attach a chimney stock on the top of the fire box.  The calculator suggests a total chimney volume of 190.40 cubic inches.  The calculator allows you to put in a recommended pipe diameter and then tells you what the length needs to be.  I don't want a ridiculously long chimney coming out of the top of my smoker so i chose 4.5 inches as the interior diameter of the chimney putting it at about 12" long.  I'm ok with that length but i can't for the life of me find a tube that is 4.5" interior diameter with out the walls of the pipe being over 1/4" thick. I thought because of this i might as well make the chimney square shaped but i am really shitty with math.  What would be the proper dimensions for the chimney if i wanted it to be square or a rectangle (190.40 cubic inches)?  or can anyone tell me if there is a place that will make a custom chimney for me that won't be unreasonable in price?

I greatly appreciate you time on this.

V/R

Jason.

Hello Jason.  It isn't as tough as it may seem.  Say a 4" ID square stack 4' long.  You are working in cubic inches so 4x4x48 =768 cubic inches.  Hope this helps.  I would keep in mind that if you can I would keep the stack above head height.  Keeps the smoke out of your face when turning the meat.  Just my idea.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

I believe you could use the 4" pipe and just increase the length to 15". Extra three inches shouldn't be too much to notice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky