My First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Heyoleman

Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Total newbie here....

Three pound pork loin.
thumbnail

After trimming.
thumbnail

The rub...(just like the video said)
a slathering of mustard
just shy of one part salt
one heavy part pepper
smidge of onion powder
heavy smidge of garlic powder
2 smidges of honey sriracha
thumbnail

and...
thumbnail

It is wrapped up and resting peacefully in the fridge as we speak.

My plan is to smoke it for 3 1/2 hours at 235*, or somewhere thereabouts.

NPDH?...well it's hapnin'!

Well shoot, my first smoke was a dud. I was so expecting a succulent, cut with a fork piece of meat. It was anything but.
It turned out a bit too dry, a bit too tough and I put the rub on too thick. I liked the flavor of the rub, there was just too much of it.
It was in the smoker at about 230° for three hours and 20 minutes. When it reached 142° I took it out, wrapped it in foil, then put it in a cooler for about 20 minutes.
Other than the rub, where did I go wrong?

When you wrap any type of meat and put it in a cooler for resting you need to let it cool down some to stop the cooking process.

With a loin, unless it's done early then there's no need to wrap and store in a cooler. Just time the cook so it's ready for dinner.

Chris

I would have pulled the loin at about 138-140, and after a short rest it would come up to 145. No need to put it in a cooler, just rest it uncovered on the counter for about 15 minutes.
Al

So I simply overlooked it by putting it in the cooler.
Wow, a couple degrees makes big difference.
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

HOM, Too bad your 1st smoke wasn't so great.Try a pork tenderloin for an easy smoke!

Thanks.

I've told my son-in-laws the trick to grilling a good piece of meat is to take them up a couple minutes before they're done. I need to heed my own advice. I'll put this one in the learning curve folder.

Yeah, a tenderloin is definitely on the list.

"HOM" ???

Thanks.

I've told my son-in-laws the trick to grilling a good piece of meat is to take them up a couple minutes before they're done. I need to heed my own advice. I'll put this one in the learning curve folder.

Yeah, a tenderloin is definitely on the list.

"HOM" ???

I believe That would be:
Hey
Ole
Man

Bear

For pork loin I like to leave just a VERY thin layer of the fat cap on it, topside while smoking so as the fat renders in the heat it soaks into the meat to help keep it moist. Hope this helps. Good luck on the next smoke.

For pork loin I like to leave just a VERY thin layer of the fat cap on it...

That thought crossed my mind while I was trimming it, but everything I saw/read said to get it all. Next time…

I did use my water pan.

Thanks for the suggestions

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky