My first smoke was a success!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RonnieD35

Original poster
Jul 4, 2020
Hey all, I’m pretty excited about this! My first smoke I’ve ever done, was completed on my Char-Griller Smokin’ Champ! After struggling with heat management nearly all night long, and after a long almost 15 hour cook, I ended up with a very succulent Pork Butt! I smoked a 10lb butt using Kosmo’s Q: Honey Chipotle Killer Bee!! My temps were all around the 230-265 degree marks. It was all over the place almost the entire cook, and I struggled very badly, but being my very first time, I’m more forgiving of myself after tasting this pulled pork!! And I look forward to getting it better and better every time I smoke one! Thanks for taking the time to read and look at my pics! Smoke on!! Side note- Any on offset smoker heat management, please feel free to add!

Attachments

• 9D503BBA-1A21-437F-A2ED-B3424FA042F1.jpeg
    9D503BBA-1A21-437F-A2ED-B3424FA042F1.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 64BECE6C-2E4A-42BC-8493-842B7D2D6DC9.jpeg
    64BECE6C-2E4A-42BC-8493-842B7D2D6DC9.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 36
  • C0F63522-F7C5-4659-A0B0-5FA70A51CCE7.jpeg
    C0F63522-F7C5-4659-A0B0-5FA70A51CCE7.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 40
I think you did real good Ronnie, sometimes it's tough staying up all night to tend the fires. I like to run my SQ36 offset around 275º for butts and ribs, seems like that's where it's most comfortable and easy to maintain. Don't be afraid to bump up your temp a bit, it'll save you a little time, Like! RAY

Reactions: RonnieD35
I think you did real good Ronnie, sometimes it's tough staying up all night to tend the fires. I like to run my SQ36 offset around 275º for butts and ribs, seems like that's where it's most comfortable and easy to maintain. Don't be afraid to bump up your temp a bit, it'll save you a little time, Like! RAY
Golly it was tough for sure! It stalled at 149 degrees for almost 4 hours And of course the beginner I am, I freaked out! But it all turned out good in the end!! Thank you for the advice sir! I’ve gotta get to know how to get my smoker up there and hold steady. That’s what I was shooting for was between 250-275.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Congrats on your first smoke, Ronnie. Believe not all first smokes are as successful as yours obviously was. Great looking butt and PP.
Gary
Thank you sir! I re wrapped this morning and let it rest for about 2 hours while I took the kiddos to the 4th of July parade and to get fireworks for tonight. I was very surprised when we returned home and it was still piping hot when I unwrapped it to pull it and it actually tasted like real pulled pork!

Golly it was tough for sure! It stalled at 149 degrees for almost 4 hours And of course the beginner I am, I freaked out! But it all turned out good in the end!! Thank you for the advice sir! I’ve gotta get to know how to get my smoker up there and hold steady. That’s what I was shooting for was between 250-275.

Getting the temp will just require a little more wood Ronnie. On my offset it's more difficult for me to hold around 225º due to where I live, when it's 110º in the AZ dessert 275º is enough of a struggle. I stopped trying to go lower when I found out Aaron Franklin runs 275º-285º on all his briskets and ribs. Good enough for him it's sure good enough for me. RAY

Great job on your first smoke Ronnie! It looks delicious.
And welcome to the forum.
Thank you Steve! It was a huge hit! First time ever hosting a cookout as well, and it surpassed everything I could have wished for in a good cookout! More pics to come soon!

First smoke and cookout was a definite success!

Attachments

• 5BA24250-AB4A-462D-85A0-F9719052D5A5.jpeg
    5BA24250-AB4A-462D-85A0-F9719052D5A5.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 30
  • 98FDC048-E3F9-4906-A90B-CEB875937154.jpeg
    98FDC048-E3F9-4906-A90B-CEB875937154.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 003E8DC7-3559-4C11-AF58-23DF59048550.jpeg
    003E8DC7-3559-4C11-AF58-23DF59048550.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: JLeonard
Hey all, I’m pretty excited about this! My first smoke I’ve ever done, was completed on my Char-Griller Smokin’ Champ! After struggling with heat management nearly all night long, and after a long almost 15 hour cook, I ended up with a very succulent Pork Butt! I smoked a 10lb butt using Kosmo’s Q: Honey Chipotle Killer Bee!! My temps were all around the 230-265 degree marks. It was all over the place almost the entire cook, and I struggled very badly, but being my very first time, I’m more forgiving of myself after tasting this pulled pork!! And I look forward to getting it better and better every time I smoke one! Thanks for taking the time to read and look at my pics! Smoke on!! Side note- Any on offset smoker heat management, please feel free to add!

Hi there and welcome!

Congrats on the success and 1st smoke!

As others have mentioned. Pork butts, brisket, and ribs (beef or pork) don't really care what temp u smoke them at so don't worry bout it with them. Also chicken skin comes out rubbery unless cooked at like 325F or so then it is definitely edible so dont worry about going low on chicken or turkey with skin either.

Keep at it and get your system dialed in so u know what to expect :)

Hi there and welcome!

Congrats on the success and 1st smoke!

As others have mentioned. Pork butts, brisket, and ribs (beef or pork) don't really care what temp u smoke them at so don't worry bout it with them. Also chicken skin comes out rubbery unless cooked at like 325F or so then it is definitely edible so dont worry about going low on chicken or turkey with skin either.

Keep at it and get your system dialed in so u know what to expect :)
Thank you! And thank you for the advice, everyone here is so welcoming and eager to give tip and advice!

Great job man! As others said you fared way better than many in your first smoke, especially on an offset. Temp taking 230 to 260 not all that bad really. You will get the hang of holding it to a narrower range. I run a charcoal cabinet and I like to do my butts in the 275F range, faster and no discernible difference in taste. Congrats on making the carousel on your first ever smoke!

Great job man! As others said you fared way better than many in your first smoke, especially on an offset. Temp taking 230 to 260 not all that bad really. You will get the hang of holding it to a narrower range. I run a charcoal cabinet and I like to do my butts in the 275F range, faster and no discernible difference in taste. Congrats on making the carousel on your first ever smoke!

Afraid I missed that. A ride on the carousel on your very first smoke????? FANTASTIC!!!!!
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky