My first pork butt, help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdgirlinfl

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
Gulf Cove, FL
I have a 5.5 lb pork butt that I want to smoke tomorrow in my MES30. I tried smoking one a year ago and it was a disaster. Way too salty. So I am coming to the pros here for help.

How should I season? Salt, pepper, garlic onion? I also have some of this and all kinds of seasoning ingredients
8e58d93e459ddf0b0cf47711e862beaa.jpg
(I also have some apple juice and cider in the house, if suggested.)

Temp, time? I have read a few that suggest smoking to 160ish then wrapping.

Girl, you're going to hear all kinds of ways to do this LOL!
Personally, I don't use any rub at all anymore for pulled pork. The smoke is the spice for pulled pork. Anywhere from 240 to 280 works fine (at least on my offset). I foil at around 160, (you can add a little juice now) like you said, then take it to around 203. Wrap it in an old towel, still in the foil, and rest it in a cooler for an hour or two. It will stay hot. When you take it out the bone should slide right out and it will pull apart easily.
Just my method. There are many [emoji]9786[/emoji]️
Dan

Girl, you're going to hear all kinds of ways to do this LOL!
Personally, I don't use any rub at all anymore for pulled pork. The smoke is the spice for pulled pork. Anywhere from 240 to 280 works fine (at least on my offset). I foil at around 160, (you can add a little juice now) like you said, then take it to around 203. Wrap it in an old towel, still in the foil, and rest it in a cooler for an hour or two. It will stay hot. When you take it out the bone should slide right out and it will pull apart easily.
Just my method. There are many [emoji]9786[/emoji]️
Dan

Awesome! Thanks Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it was to salty keep the salt light in your rub. I like a heavy brown sugar run for bark. No foiling. Smoke at 225-240 until it's between 200-203 degrees. Pull out wrap in foil and let rest for an hour or so. If you can wait it out and not foil it'll look like this:

Too Salty? Did you use reserved drippings? You can pretty much use a lot of salt and the pulled pork shouldn't be too salty, however if you are reserving drippings to add back to your pulled pork, then yes, watch the salt.

You can cook Naked too...No, not you, the pork.

Over the years I have gravitated away from typical "Pork Rubs" and use more of a mop and my own rub, and my rub is definitely salty.

I try to avoid sugars in my rub, and get all the sweetness from my Mop, (Worcestershire, Soy, Coke and JD)

You could make a mop and season your mop then baste the meat several times flipping a few times during the cook, this will give you total control of the amount of salt and /or spices flavoring the meat.

Steer clear of commercially prepared rubs. Usually about 85% salt. Easiest way I've found is to salt the meat, THEN add your spice rub. A mixture of 2 parts paprika and one part each black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and brown sugar is a good starting point.
As for smoking, again, the easiest way I've found is to just let it ride until it hits 200°-205° dead center. I don't wrap until it comes off the smoker, then I let it rest for at least an hour. The timing depends on your smoker temperature. At 225° you're looking at 12+ hours. At 275° you should be done in 8 or so.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Thank you hillbillyrkstr, SQWIB, MDboatbum. I'm in the MES with a light commercial rub. I'm trying using my cold smoke attachment as suggested in Bears thread on the MES thoughts and findings. (Heated to smoke, then turned off with the ash drawer open an inch +/-).

It came out very good. Not light the world afire. But still quite good. Sorry for the absence of pics. It didn't finish until late evening and we just wanted to get it pulled after the rest. Going to use some of it in tacos and some in chili.i am grateful for all of the help and advice. And I promise to do better with photos in the future... Maybe chili [emoji]128523[/emoji]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky