My First Picanha

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
I recently found an unusual (to me) cut in Costco; a 5 lb, prime, top sirloin cap. I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid somewhere between $25 to $35 for it. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so it went into the freezer for a while. Then I started reading the other threads here, and found it was called a Picanha. All the ones I saw here had a nice fat cap on one side, but these two in the cryovac were already well trimmed. I just took off a small amount of silverskin that was left.
I decided to just treat them like small roasts, and smoked indirect at 250° for bit in my Weber Performer until they hit 110°. Then I took the lid off to let the coals get hot, and gave them a good reverse sear.

Gave them a light coat of mustard, and them some BBQ Pit Boys SPG.
20210523_154006.jpg

Just before the sear.
20210523_173154.jpg

Just about done.
20210523_174926.jpg

Inside, they both came out a perfect medium-rare, and so juicy and tender to cut. My knife went thru them like hot butter!
20210523_180949.jpg

20210523_181352.jpg

20210523_181358.jpg

Lousy phone/camera pic doesn't do this one justice; it was red thru-n-thru. Paired with some cheesy potatoes and green beans.
20210523_181716.jpg

Conclusion: I will be looking for this cut again! The taste and incredible tenderness rivaled any filet mignon I've ever had, for a fraction of the price of tenderloin.

Lastly, topped it off with some homemade cinnamon rolls.
20210523_154021.jpg

That Picanha looks fantastic.

I actually ordered a 1KG piece last week, but am yet to receive it due to stocking issues.
Can't wait to try it.

Picanha and Tri-tip are my absolute favor cuts of beef to cook and you treated that first attempt perfect! I love doing the reverse sear on bot those cuts, just like you did here. How did the mustard base work? I have never use a mustard base on beef.

Yup this cut is one of our favorites. Hopefully you'll be able to find your next one with the fat cap in place, which takes it to the next level in flavor town.

Last edited:
Also called coulotte, one of the most tender and flavorful cuts of beef. We just had one last night. All you need is salt, indirect heat, then reverse sear.

Reactions: Mike R.
That looks really good!! I have a small one I just moved to the fridge for this weekend. Tri-tip 2 weeks ago, and from what I’m reading we’re in for a treat. Yours looks SO good!! I guess I’ll do just like I did for the tri-tip…dry brine and smoke away :)

I got a a few whole pinanha and must have killed them when cooking, dry and tough...I need a re-do!

Nice job! They can be difficult to find but worth the effort...JJ

It is now my favorite cut of beef. Tender like a filet, flavorful like a ribeye. I get them from Wildfork. They have prime for $ 11 per pound

These did not have any fat cap on them. I've picked up a couple more with the fat cap that I will try on the rotisserie this weekend. More like the Brazilian skewer method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky