My first homebuilt some ????s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigun

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have acquired the first part of my first smoker, A half sized stainless industrial refrgerator, I am planning on heating it with charcoal. now I have some questions...
First what can I use to clean this thing? It has been sitting for a while and is mildewed, as well it was used in commercial service and I want to make sure it dosent have anything unusal left in it. My thoughts are use 70% isopropyl alcohol and then a nice hot fire inside of it.
My next question I am going to mount the fire box separate from the smoke chamber and run duct work between them, This way I can keep a nice hot fire in the fire box and not drive up temps in the smoke chamber. What kind of duct work should I use.
Third does anyone have a good idea for something to use as a fire box? I was thinking about using a gas grill with a bad burner, Strip the burner and all hoses out, Mount the gas grill box on the bottom of the gas grill stand and mount the fridge on the top of the gas grill stand. Last question I know this is an unusual setup but is there any reason it won't work and I should stick to burning things with the oven and grill?

Go for it!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

sounds like you are on the wright track to me, I would avoid using any galvanized metal for the duct work you are talking about.
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
toxic stuff

Use a pressure washer or a steam washer to clean the exterior and interior.

What is the interior made of? If it's stainless steel, then you're good to go-if it's plastic you'll need to strip it out and reline it with metal sheeting (non-galvanized). Plastic lining will throw off toxic fumes if/when you have a fire in it.

It is all stainless inside so no worries there. There are a couple of galvanized panels on the outside but they won't be exposed to heat or food so there are no worries there. I started gutting the fridge tuesday night, I am going to start cutting draft and chimney holes this weekend. Ill take some pictures and post for everyone to see.

First what can I use to clean this thing? I like Dutch's idea of a pressure washer followed up by a good fire.

My next question I am going to mount the fire box separate from the smoke chamber and run duct work between them, What kind of duct work should I use. If you mount it close enough you will not need the duct. Other wise you need to make sure that it is not galvanized.

Third does anyone have a good idea for something to use as a fire box? You could you an old wood stove, find a side firebox from your local bbq store.

Last question I know this is an unusual setup but is there any reason it won't work and I should stick to burning things with the oven and grill?

Should be good to go just make sure you have enough air flow

Ooooh.... You make me jealous! I wish that I had the time right now to tinker with all of my little projects.
biggrin.gif

You know that I would try to steer you towards going electric but to each his own.

As far as cleaning goes the pressure washer is where it is at, and if not that, "Purple Stuff" and a good rinse is pretty good. I don't know if the pressure washers at one of those do it yourself car washes would have enough "umpfh" to do the job, but you might haul the fridge up to one in the back of a pick up and try.

The fire chamber all depends on too many things. Is money no object? Do you have a few things laying around that you are considering? Frabrication skills, ambitions, design elements and so on. Maybe do a horizontal barrel and partition off one side for the smokers firebox and use the other side as a grill or go with the premade side firebox from the local home center.

Ducting? Again, it could be just about anything. Aluminum flasing is easy to work with and I wonder about gutter downspouts (Any coatings that might be an issue?) Clay tile chiminey pipe might be an option and then ther is plain old steel tubing/pipe.

This could get out of control here. Instead of us telling you what to do, you really need to be posting those pics and telling us what you have in mind.....and then we will be telling you what to do
icon_razz.gif

I have on occassion the chance to work around restraunts and some of their equipment in the kitchens. I look at some of the equipment and just drool all over myself thinking about how easy it would be to convert it to a smoker. And I am all about wanting a BIG stainless box, rack ready and front door access!

I took a couple of pictures this morning of the box, and started cutting on it a little bit but I have got to find something better to cut the steel with, Neither my sawzall or my grinder was having very much luck with it, I am going to see if I can find a steel blade for my circular saw, And hope that might work. Ive got some more reasearch to do there, I may have to call a friend with a plasma cutter if I can't find any other option. We are going to a village garage sale on monday so I may find some parts there ducting or firebox etc. and Ill hopefully have some progress pictures to post on tuesday.

Plasma arc would be your best bet if you have access to it, but if not, you might try a carbide encrusted blade for your sawzall. Usually sold as concrete cutters, but work for hard steel. They are only about 10 bucks, and can be found at darn near any hardware store.

FInally got all the guts cut out of this thing. After much cussing and talking to people I learned that if cutting stainless make sure to use lots of cutting oil and keep the grinder moving. So the bottom is off, I am going to lowes today to see what I can find for duct work. I may just buy some sheet 10-80 steel or aluminum and make my own ducts. Ill take a couple more pictures and post them up soon.

Oh dude, my bad, I would have reccomended that you use 1/16" thick "Ziz" wheels on a 4 to 4 1/2" grinder for the cutting. There is a small learning curve on pressure and wheel wear but it is a pretty easy way to cut stainless if you don't have a Plasma cutter in your back pocket. If the finish of the cut is important, water from a squirt bottle can help keep the discoloratization down as you cut.

Pics and plans?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky