My First Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NU2SMOKE

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Ever since I found this forum I have found a wealth of things that I have got to try. A fattie very quickly rose to the top of the list. I would likr to say Thank you in advance to gmc2003 gmc2003 for the instructional threads he did. Which gave me the confidence to give this a try!

So here it goes: MY FIRST MEAT LOVERS FATTIE ala NU2SMOKE

I used 2 lbs of sausage...mixture of italian and hot! I mixed in some spices and some grated parmesan cheese into the meat mix. I put it in the gallon bag and pressed it evenly flat.
IMG_2419.JPG

I then transferred it to a sheet of saran wrap, dusted it with some BBQ rub and laid down some Boars head provolone. One piece for the fattie one for me...one for the fattie...one for me..... (YES THIS IS A RECURRING THEME)

IMG_2421.JPG

Second layer was Boars Head Hot Cappicola! And yes you guessed it ...One piece for the fattie one for me...lol

IMG_2422.JPG

Next came the Salami...Boars Head of course and no I didnt do the one and one on this one.....It was one for the fattie and 2 FOR ME!!! Did I mention a love Salami.

IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG

Finished it up with Pepperoni and generous amount of Shredded Mozzarella!

IMG_2426.JPG

Here she is all wrapped up and put in the fridge to set.

IMG_2428.JPG

When I had chatted with gmc2003 gmc2003 about how to do a fattie and he linked me to his series on it he asked me if I was going to Bacon Wrap it. BACON WRAP?!?! I didnt even know these things existed let alone how to do a bacon wrap....I started sweatting and nerves got the better of me and I blurted out and typed... "OF COURSE" oh God what did I just do?!?!?
I just comited to doing this so ....without furthur addo

Here she is Bacon wrapped ready for the smoker!

IMG_2429.jpg

I put her on the Rec Tec Bull at 250 deg with some Pecan and Cherry pellets and let her go for 2 hours at which time I probed and was at 122. I bumped up the temp to 450 to crisp the bacon and 45 min later....The end result!

IMG_2442.jpg

No of course I did not want to do the "Rookie Mistake" as Chris had pointed out so I let it rest for 15 min....People....THAT WAS THE HARDEST PART!!!
After the required waiting...well...The cut!

IMG_2446.JPG

It was perfect and 20 min later there was NOTHING LEFT!

Thank you for taking this Journey with me and a very special Thank you to Chris for the step by step tutorial without which this would not have been possible!
This is a great forum with great people sharing great recipes!

SO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS!! KEEP THEM COMING AND ME BUSY PLEASE!!

Wicked good JOB on that fattie NU. Now that you've entered the Fattie Zone the skies the limit onto what you can stuff them with. Again excellent Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you all!!
krj krj Yes pepperoni and salami are my 2 favs....I ordered 1lb of each just so I could eat them while building...LOL

gmc2003 gmc2003 Thank you sir for the inspiration and the gentle goading into wrapping it in bacon. Your tutorial is what made it the success it was and trust me when I say I told my family where I got the idea and they told me to read more of your stuff...LOL

crazymoon crazymoon Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan Kind words...TY

sandyut sandyut DO IT!! YOU WONT REGRET IT AT ALL...LOL

SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker OMG It was to die for. Literally weighed 5 lbs and it was gone in 20 min!!

Perfect looking fattie! Congratulations on both the creation AND the patience needed to perfect the outcome. Been awhile since I made one. Don't know why I stopped...? Thanks for the renewed inspiration. By the way, looks like you had a pretty good teacher.

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
Perfect looking fattie! Congratulations on both the creation AND the patience needed to perfect the outcome. Been awhile since I made one. Don't know why I stopped...? Thanks for the renewed inspiration. By the way, looks like you had a pretty good teacher.
Yeah... gmc2003 gmc2003 setp by step was great and now I have already been asked by the kids to do another one...so I told both of them and my wife to come up with 3 different fillings each one would like and we will do them one a week!
Lucky me!!

Reactions: gmc2003
Yup..seems to happen a lot. My wife claims not to like most anything "smoked" until she tries it. Suddenly she asks why I haven't made XYZ in a while. :emoji_flushed:

Wow!!!
This Tasty Looking Beauty managed to avoid my Peepers for 9 whole Days!!
That's Remarkable!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Wow!!!
This Tasty Looking Beauty managed to avoid my Peepers for 9 whole Days!!
That's Remarkable!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Better late than never Bear!! Thank you for the kind words...I need to work on some of your recipies now...be ready for some questions...lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky