My first electric pellet smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bunny

Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
Way North Idaho
So, I've been doing some major research on getting a new pellet smoker, but I just was having a hard time justifying the cost. That's the frugal side of me. So, after my propane vertical smoker couldn't hold temps in our North Idaho winters, I lost my cool and started shopping. I kept going back and forth between the Smokin Brothers Premier 30 and the RecTec RT-700. I have one friend that has the Smokin Brother and another that has the RecTec and I've eaten off of both and hung out with them cooking so I was comfortable with my whittled down list. It finally came down that my husband and I have not bought appliances made in China for over 20 years now. My toaster is an antique from the 1930's. Yes, we try hard to stick to not made in China. As much as I liked the electronics and features of the RecTec over the Smokin Brothers, I started focusing on the made in America brand. My husband heard me and saw me researching them and surprised me with my Premier 30 for Christmas. I was ecstatic! Since I wasn't expecting a smoker for Christmas, I wasn't prepared for my first meals on it but decided after I did my burn in Christmas day, I was going to make some smoked deviled eggs and bacon candy for bloody Mary's the next morning. So, I set to the task of running through the initial fire up. I did everything the book said and I was a little uncertain about the auger function as it took several cycles before it turned. Well, it turned, so I put my cup of pellets in the pot, assembled the inside of the smoker again and filled the hopper. Waited for the ignition light to go off and turned it up to the 325 suggested temp to burn in. Kept going back to check the smoker after it fired up and was shocked when it hit 295 and started dropping. I didn't hear any fire, just fan. So, I started the cool down process, tore out the inside of the smoker and there was just a dusting of ash in the pot. Didn't seem like any pellets had filled it. Now I take all the pellets out of the hopper, prep the pot again and only add enough pellets to watch the auger this time. Go through the process again and nope, it's not moving. Next I vacuum out the pellets from the hopper and I can turn the auger by hand, but the motor just vibrates. Now I give up and I write Smokin Brother's an email explaining what I did and what's not happening. I didn't expect a response because it's Christmas, but Ryan does send me an email response with some trouble shooting advice on it. I followed it to the letter and nothing. Next morning I contact Super 1 where hubby bought the smoker. Dan the manager is on vacation, but his employees call him and I get a return phone call in minutes. He tears apart his machine with us as we diagnose this together over the phone. The only conclusion is the motor is broken and not connected to the auger blade. Dan has an employee pull another auger motor and test it so I can drive out and pick it up. They also gave me a fresh bag of pellets of my choosing, a silicone mat for my drip tray and a grill handle! I get it home and sure enough, it's working like it supposed too. Burn in is almost over and I'm excited to get my bacon on. After calling Dan to let him know that everything was running perfect, he lets me know that this is the first unit they have had any issues with. They are going to tear apart my broken motor to figure out what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again to future customers. I don't think I went wrong with my choice. From the manufacture to the dealer, I never would have expected to get any problems resolved so fast during the holidays! Smokin Brother's now has a new loyal customer.

Congrats on your new smoker and sounds like you had great customer service from both the company and the store you bought it at! Enjoy and looking forward to upcoming cooks in it

Ryan

Reactions: bunny
Looked at those units before, quite nice. It does sound like CS stepped up to the plate for you, awesome. ENJOY . . .

Reactions: bunny
You're gonna love that smoker. We have a comp team and use the 72 and the 30. This past January we were invited to the smokin brothers "when pigs fly bbq comp" in cape girardeau and supplied with their smokers to use. Was a great time and got to spend alot of time with Ryan and his staff. They stand behind their product and will go out of the way to keep you satisfied. Here's a few pics at our comp
Screenshot_20200125-182154_Textra.jpg
Screenshot_20200126-190255_Textra.jpg
Screenshot_20200125-165402_Textra.jpg
Screenshot_20200125-163925_Textra.jpg
Screenshot_20200126-191859_Textra.jpg
20200125_131610.jpg
20200125_071600.jpg
20191228_064414.jpg

You got yourself a high quality smoker for sure. And 100% 'Merica

You're gonna love that smoker. We have a comp team and use the 72 and the 30. This past January we were invited to the smokin brothers "when pigs fly bbq comp" in cape girardeau and supplied with their smokers to use. Was a great time and got to spend alot of time with Ryan and his staff. They stand behind their product and will go out of the way to keep you satisfied. Here's a few pics at our compView attachment 477176View attachment 477177View attachment 477178View attachment 477179View attachment 477180View attachment 477181View attachment 477182View attachment 477183
You got yourself a high quality smoker for sure. And 100% 'Merica
[/QUOT
thank you for the pictures! I agree that I got a good one and I was super happy that Ryan reached out to me even on Christmas evening. Some day I hope to reach your level!

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky