MY FIRST CURING CHAMBER BUILD!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well after doing several projects with the UMAi bags & casings. I decided to take it to the next level. So I bought a small beverage cooler, a humidifier, a computer fan, and a temp/humidity controller. I also had an independent temp & humidity gauge that I put in the chamber, sort of a backup. Got it all hooked up & started making stuff! My first project was pepperoni, next was lonzino, then bresaola, & finally chorizo. They are all still in the curing chamber, and if they turn out good I will post the recipes & procedures that I followed.
Here are a few photo's:
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg

This has really been a lot of fun, and quite a challenge. I read a lot & learned a lot & have been working on this for about 1 month. I can't wait to try the first bite. That should be the pepperoni in a couple of weeks. Will update as they all get done!
Al

Wow, very nice work. I am going to try and build a curing chamber as a winter project this year. Looking forward to reading about your sausage crafting in the future. :)

YUM! I am right there along with you on learning about dry curing meats Al. Though you beat me with your chamber build....I hope to have mine up and running soon.

Al,
Wow! Looks like you've done it again...keep us posted.
Teddy

Wow, very nice work. I am going to try and build a curing chamber as a winter project this year. Looking forward to reading about your sausage crafting in the future. :)

Nice work Al . Been reading up on this myself . Watching this one .

YUM! I am right there along with you on learning about dry curing meats Al. Though you beat me with your chamber build....I hope to have mine up and running soon.

It's not too hard to build one guys. But I did find a couple of things out. When you get a fridge and humidifier. Get both with manual controls, cause the digital ones don't always turn on & off with the electricity. The default seems to be off with the humidifiers, & the highest temp that the fridge will go with the fridges. Also the fridge I have has a manual light switch, and I keep it in the on position, so when the light goes on I know the electricity is on & the fridge is cycling on.
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
Perfect place for your shooter... Nice set up... I really like the glass door... Kind of "First Class" stuff....

Any books you would recommend for learning sausage curing?

I read 3 books, there is some good info in all of them, but some of the recipes are a little off.
Home production of quality meats & sausages.
The art of making fermented sausages.
Charcuterie.

Great build!I started my first Umai peperonni a few weeks ago by the smell of it now I am going to need a chamber soon myself!

Perfect place for your shooter... Nice set up... I really like the glass door... Kind of "First Class" stuff....

...aged like a fine wine......

Thanks fellas!
Al

I am going to see if I can get one or more of those. I have a book called in the charcuterie which only contains the most basic information. I didn't find it very useful.

I am going to see if I can get one or more of those. I have a book called in the charcuterie which only contains the most basic information. I didn't find it very useful.

Yea they all have some good info, and some not so good info.
I used a combo of all 3 books & the recipes on here & also on the UMAi website.
You just have to pick & choose, but you must make sure that the salt & cure #2 are spot on.
Al

Looks good Al. Now its a waiting game.

You got that right brother!!
Al

Holy Shoot, Al, You're really getting into it !!
Gonna be eating some Great stuff soon.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the Tasty Results!!
"Like", for jumping in with both feet!!

Bear

Looks like a fine setup you got Al. I could almost just pull up a chair and a beer and watch to see if I could see change. Ha ha...

Holy Shoot, Al, You're really getting into it !!
Gonna be eating some Great stuff soon.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the Tasty Results!!
"Like", for jumping in with both feet!!

Bear

Thanks John!
Well your right about one thing, I did jump in with both feet.
I sure hope it is worth it!!
Al

You guys are killing me with this stuff! Just getting interested in curing after you guys got me into making my own bacon. I better get busy to catch up! Looks awesome.

Darn Al your getting high tech/cutting edge. Keep us posted...always enjoy seeing your projects!

Looks like a fine setup you got Al. I could almost just pull up a chair and a beer and watch to see if I could see change. Ha ha...

Thanks a lot guys!!
The reason I got a fridge with a glass door was so I could look at the stuff all the time without opening the door.
It's kind of an addiction!!
Al

Really nice set-up Al. I just consulted with Carnac the magnificent and he sees many a good vittle coming out of that chamber.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky