1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My first Chuckie Burnt Ends

Discussion in 'Beef' started by uncle eddie, Feb 10, 2019.

1. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There were some decently marbled chuck roasts at our meat locker so I thought I would give chuckie burnt ends a try for the first time.

I seasoned them with SPG and Maggi Seasoning (sort of like a strong soy sauce). Smoke was AMPS hickory. Probably averaged 240F smoker temp. The chuck roasts hit 195 in about 8 hours. Cut them into chunks. Sauced half and left the other half naked. Turned up the smoker to 275F. They were in there for another hour.

Both the naked and the sauced burnt ends were very good but the sauced burnt ends were the better of the two. Simply put - the sauced burnt ends ran out and the naked burnt ends were the ones that were left over....sauced wins.

A few of the chuckie burnt ends were a touch on the dry side whether sauced or naked - like you can get with chuck roasts. The next time I do this I will call ahead to Sams Club and have the butcher set a point or two aside for me.

Pictures follow:

IMG_384 1.JPG
    IMG_384 2.JPG

IMG_384  3.JPG
    IMG_384 5.JPG

2. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Smoking Fanatic

I like that you went with experimentation. It really is the only way to figure what you and yours like best, which is then what creates anticipation everytime you crank up the smoker, and memories long after the food has been digested. BBQ is an event that brings people together. To me, that is the end goal of BBQ. The methods and recipes are just the fun process to getting there.

Good job! Like for sure!

uncle eddie likes this.
  3. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Looks good! Honestly chuckroast is as good as brisket to me!

uncle eddie likes this.
  4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

They look awfully good to me, especially for your maiden voyage.

Point for sure.
    Chris

uncle eddie likes this.
  5. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thnx guys....we definitely will do it again.

6. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

Looks delicious. Good job!