My first butt have questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Update
Put the butts on at 1am they were bigger then I thought almost 10lbs each. Smoked at 225 till I was happy with color. Took me about 6hrs 45 min internal temp was 165 wrapped in a foil pan . Used my on rub.

2 cups brown sugar
4 tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 tbsp Coleman’s dried mustard
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp celery salt
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp seasoned salt
2 tbsp ground pepper
2 tbsp cumin seed toasted and ground
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Attachments

• ACE1ECFB-D92D-4A8D-9A09-FC52D1DEAD33.jpeg
    ACE1ECFB-D92D-4A8D-9A09-FC52D1DEAD33.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 912smoker
Looking good! They're wrapped so that's it for the smoke. Now, bump the temp and monitor the IT.

Butts hitting at 192 looks like they will be done way before I need them at 5pm. I wrapped them in the foil trays what will be the best way to keep them till I am ready?

You'd be surprised how long those last few degrees of IT take to hit. I vote keep going as you are. Once IT is 205F then lower heat. Happy they are going well!

Reactions: mcokevin
You'd be surprised how long those last few degrees of IT take to hit. I vote keep going as you are. Once IT is 205F then lower heat. Happy they are going well!
Agreed. You're in a good spot at 192 now but you've probably got 60-90 minutes at least until 203-205.

Reactions: zwiller
Was going to just lock them up in chest wrapped in towels will it hold need space on smoker for beans and sausage

Lucky family. Hope there is a small army to eat all the food you're smoking! You've already told us what time dinner is, maybe we can all stop by!

I am so excited can’t wait for the meal will take a picture of butts when done.

Was going to just lock them up in chest wrapped in towels will it hold need space on smoker for beans and sausage
Binnesman,
I agree with other that those last ten degrees almost hits what I like to the call the "second stall".

I have never done shoulders wrapped in the foil pan, but multiple times I have placed completed cooks (wrapped in foil) in the faux cambro (cheap small cooler with towels) and let it rest as long as you will need and it is still finger burning hot when I go to pull. I am not 100% sure because of the pans, but I really think as long as it all stays sealed you will be great. The other option is the oven. Not a method I have used, but let me know if you want more info on that option. Looking great can't wait to see the results.
Mike

DON'T. This is hardest part and where most chicken out and fail... Take to at least 200F IT if probes good before the chest. If you MUST, throw in oven but gonna stink the house up (my wife was NOT cool with it). With a little luck you'll hit IT soon and you can then run the beans and sausage.

Glad to see they are coming along. I'm with the others. Make sure they cook until tender and then I would wrap in towels and put in your cooler for about 5 hours.

At the 5 hour mark I would preheat the oven to 160F and then throw them in there to hold until time to pull apart and serve.

Going from 192-203/205 tenderness may take an hour to an hour and a half so you'll just have to see how it continues but I would not pull before it is tender and ready.

Be sure and record down some important process and timing notes on how this smoke took so you can remember how to plan for similar ones in the future.
You are almost there man! :)

Great ! Last one I had to hold for a long time I also wrapped a layer of saran wrap around the foil before placing in cooler. Seemed to continue to marinate the cooked butt.

When you all need to hold your butts (hehe) if they are done early, do you put them in foil immediately from the smoker or do you let them cool a bit before the foil/towel/cooler combo?

Last edited:
When you all need to hold your butts (hehe) if they are done early, do you put them in foil immediately from the smoker or do you let them cool a bit before the foil/towel/cooler combo?
Either way, but if you need to hold them for more than a few hrs put them in right out of the smoker, so the cooler retains the heat longer.

I completely agree with forktender, you can do them either way. Again I agree with forktender, if you have a longer rest, more than 3 hours, I would go right to wrapping it in the foil right from the smoker, to really keep that heat locked in for hours and hours. However, if your rest is going to be less time, less then 3 hours, there is nothing wrong with leaving it out for 20 mins or so before wrapping. In my experience the reason to let the rest period is to better "save" or "keep" the bark. Wrapping at any point has a tendency of softening up that great bark you just worked so hard to get.

Finale update and sorry no finale pic. It’s funny for once I was way ahead of schedule on the cook and half the family Knows I am always running late. But not this time😀 so they all showed up late and I had to get it served quick and forgot pictures sorry. The butts turned out perfect amazing bark great smoke ring, and juicy. I will never worry about not finishing in time anymore because of the advice I got and the trick about putting them back in a oven at 165 I did 175 was perfect. So now I will cook ahead always. The new Pellet smoker was great as well,really enjoying it. I did attach a photo of the second butt after it chilled over night and a small piece missing lol. Thanks do all the great advice glad I found this forum.

Attachments

• 3BC760A5-BF99-4B1B-B9EE-0B2CD251917B.jpeg
    3BC760A5-BF99-4B1B-B9EE-0B2CD251917B.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 24
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky