My first brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

A&M

Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
happy july 4th everyone. I cooked my first brisket. 12 lbs from a local butcher. Aged the meat for 2 weeks, soaked the brisket for 8 hours in beef broth with some apple cider. Used a dry rub with salt,pepper, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, cummin and a little cinnamon. I have a wsm 18, used hickory and mesquite wood chunks. I preheated the smoker used water in the water pan and started smoking at 630pm yesterday. It was on the smoker for 10 hours at 220 to 230( best temperature spread I could maintain). Then i wrapped it in tin foil and placed in the oven. At 201 a tooth pick went in like butter and now it is wrapped and in the cooler. It finished 4 hours to early, dinner is not until 5ish today. I dont have after picks yet but will when it is time to cut. I did not get the bark I wanted and hopefully the taste is what i want. Will update when i try a piece in a few hours. Any thoughts on why i did not get the nice bark would be appericated. Any thing I should try differently next time would also be appertaining. How long should it be ok to keep in the cooler? Will it be ok until around 5ish? Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• B93D2774-26D4-4F35-9E07-E9023B3E552D.jpeg
    B93D2774-26D4-4F35-9E07-E9023B3E552D.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 69E1BF8A-514C-4394-BCC4-58C315F903A7.jpeg
    69E1BF8A-514C-4394-BCC4-58C315F903A7.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 41
It turned out great. Cant wait to do another

Only pic i had.

Attachments

• B2ED1737-BFB7-480C-88DB-C5A8AA0F6995.jpeg
    B2ED1737-BFB7-480C-88DB-C5A8AA0F6995.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: David Burke
I think your bark turned out awesome. I have heard that wrapping in foil causes the bark to soften up a bit as opposed to paper wrap but you definitely have a good lookin smoke there

Thanks, might try the butcher paper next time and see jow that goes.

When you wrap in butcher paper, would you put it back on the grill?
Yes, typically you wrap at the beginning or prior to the stall. A lot of folks target 165 for a wrapping temp. It will go back on the pit until done. Some unwrap and and go back on for a brief time to crisp the bark back up.

I did not put it back on the grill, finished it in the iven next time ill try putting it back on the smoker to finish. I only used the oven so i could get a little sleep. Ill time it better next time hopefully. Thanks for all the input.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky