My first batch of sweet, sweet, salty bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkfessional

Original poster
Feb 1, 2015
Southern Indiana

Me and my girlfriend had bought a hog for butcher and her uncle cut it all for us. The bacon was the first thing we handled. We had it in Morton's Sugar Cure for about 8 days. Rotating, rubbing and letting it sit in the fridge. After taking it out, giving it a rinse and letting it sit under a fan for about an hour,  I put it in the smoker. I used applewood pellets and let it sit for 5 hours at about 200. I rotated the racks once an hour and for the last hour I flipped them over.

It was about 12:30 am when I pulled them out and finally got a taste. I fried up a slice for me and a slice for my girlfriend. Being as it was the first time I've ever smoked meat, I was nervous as hell! But it turned out delicous and she loved it! I honestly couldn't have been prouder of myself and I knew instantly that this is a new passion.

Last edited:
Looks good.......

I used applewood pellets and let it sit for 5 hours at about 200.

To drive out moisture, water boils at 212...  better to dry at 275 for a shorter period of time....

Nice looking bacon, good job

Gary

Getting more and more excited about getting mine done

Gary

Oh, I did! She was super happy with the turn out. I just recently sent some home with my father (payment for helping us haul a lawn tractor) and he was head over heels when he tried it!

Great, glad it turned out so good, I'll be smoking mine tomorrow

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky