My first batch of sweet, sweet, salty bacon.

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by porkfessional, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Me and my girlfriend had bought a hog for butcher and her uncle cut it all for us. The bacon was the first thing we handled. We had it in Morton's Sugar Cure for about 8 days. Rotating, rubbing and letting it sit in the fridge. After taking it out, giving it a rinse and letting it sit under a fan for about an hour,  I put it in the smoker. I used applewood pellets and let it sit for 5 hours at about 200. I rotated the racks once an hour and for the last hour I flipped them over.

It was about 12:30 am when I pulled them out and finally got a taste. I fried up a slice for me and a slice for my girlfriend. Being as it was the first time I've ever smoked meat, I was nervous as hell! But it turned out delicous and she loved it! I honestly couldn't have been prouder of myself and I knew instantly that this is a new passion.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good.......

I used applewood pellets and let it sit for 5 hours at about 200.

To drive out moisture, water boils at 212...  better to dry at 275 for a shorter period of time....

3. That is some fine looking bacon. I like the color.

Happy smoken.

David

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice looking bacon !

5. Nice looking bacon, good job

Gary

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bacon is an addiction, unlike any other smoke.

Congrats on your bacon.

I hope you got a big sloppy kiss for your smoking achievement! (any excuse right?)

7. Getting more and more excited about getting mine done

Gary

8. Oh, I did! She was super happy with the turn out. I just recently sent some home with my father (payment for helping us haul a lawn tractor) and he was head over heels when he tried it!

9. Great, glad it turned out so good, I'll be smoking mine tomorrow

Gary