My First Attempt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m thinking my smoker temp gauge was, indeed, quite a bit off. 2 hours and about 15 mins at what it said was about 210-225 to get to 165 IT. I did crank it up once it got to 150 to crisp up the skin, and the rise from 150-165 only took about 10-15 minutes.
Your times are not really off given the temps you used. I smoke birds at 325°F+ and they are generally done in about an hour, give or take.

Poultry doesn't fall off the bone in a smoker like it does when braising in a liquid. Water transfers heat 25x's faster than air. So even though braising is at 212°F, there's a LOT more transfer of heat energy than in your smoker.

Try a higher chamber temp next time. Crispy skin and a time saver. Your bird look GREAT!

Welcome and happy Father’s Day! Great gift and first cook! Chicken, in my humble opinion (IMHO), is really hard on the MES. Some here have had great success, but I’ve never been able to get it the way I like, Webber kettle is where I put my chicken. Id say a good pork butt should be your second go. MES is awesome for ribs and butts! Lots of other things too, but those are great meats to start!

Reactions: Mike Kilo
I must say that the bird looked and smelled great but I don’t think I’ll be doing another chicken. Turkey legs perhaps…

Butt is next up!

Reactions: bauchjw
Success. Ish. The meat was not as tender as I was anticipating. Definitely not falling off of the bone. Very juicy and the flavor came out quite well. The wife said “this would be GREAT in tacos!” She’s not a huge smokey flavor fan and had one of the breasts, which she enjoyed anyway. The skin, while crispy on the outside was quite chewy and neither of us ate it after the first couple of bites.

I’m thinking my smoker temp gauge was, indeed, quite a bit off. 2 hours and about 15 mins at what it said was about 210-225 to get to 165 IT. I did crank it up once it got to 150 to crisp up the skin, and the rise from 150-165 only took about 10-15 minutes.

I will get a thermometer for the air in the box before my next go to make sure of the temp.

So, any suggestions or pointers not already given? Is the meat not falling off the bone a poultry thing? What is the best way to get the skin crispy like when I cook it in the oven (crispy, relatively light/thin mouth feel…)?

I did not brine the bird or anything like that and only wrapped it in Saran Wrap and stuck it in the fridge for about a half hour after seasoning it. As I said, I was happy with the flavor, and while it SMELLED quite smoky, I didn’t find the taste overly so.
Hi there and welcome!
Great first smoke.

Biggest poultry tips to help you out are:

1. Smoke your poultry at 325F smoker temp to get edible skin. Poultry skin just doesn't want to be edible unless cooked at a higher heat. Think of this is a quirk of skin on poultry (chicken or turkey)

2. If you cover/tent cooked poultry it starts to rehydrate and toughen up the skin some. Try not to cover or tent it if you can avoid it. So in your case putting the bird uncovered in a warmed oven would have been a good way to hold it and keep it warm while working on sides and stuff.

3. Brining, curing, marinating, or injecting will help ensure a bird is not dry in the breast and white meat. Same with just smoking breast meat. If you decide to brine/cure/marinate let us know and we can discuss the beauty and precision of an "Equilibrium" brine to nail it and never get too salty.

So there are the few little tips for your whole birds and poultry with skin on.

Now you mention doing turkey legs. If you want state fair/disney land style smoked turkey legs then you will need to use come cure #1 or else it will be like your chicken and less like those hammy mahogany smoked turkey drums.

Let us know when you are doing your pork butt and ask any questions you may have.
Everyone says it is an easy smoke BUT... like all smokes each different one has different quirks and tricks to consider.
You just ran into skin on poultry quirks. A pork butt will have different quirks not related to the whole bird.
That is part of the understanding of smoking meat. Each cut is different and has a few quirks to address. You rarely can treat two different cuts of meat the same with process, seasoning, and trips/tricks.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: Mike Kilo
Welcome from Nova Scotia

Your chicken looks great, but like all above have said higher heat for birds. And like tallbm tallbm said try not to tent up .

I have the same smoker and I smoke/cook quite a few different things in mine . Most things work and I have had a couple fails, not the smokers fault , it was the cook trying out different things.

You will enjoy the smoker and like said. the temp gauge on the front is always wrong. I have a 4 probe Inkbird and love it. As I can go about my yard choirs while the smoke is rolling. I have mine set up in it's own little building so I can cook/smoke almost anytime of year. A couple of snow storms slowed me down a bit.

This place is full of great folks that will help you if you need it and cheer you on while you enjoy this way of feeding the family.

David
DSC_2172.JPG DSC_3577.JPG
DSC_2265.JPG DSC_2131.JPG

Ok gang, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for everyone’s comments, suggestions, and welcoming thoughts last weekend; y’all are a fantastic group!

I pulled some of the bird over the last week to use in various dishes and it was fantastic! Much better option than just eating the bird as a bird.

Going to do my second smoke this weekend. An 8lb pork butt. Haven’t done anything to it yet, and hoping to get some recommendations from you experts!
Brine or no?
Favorite rub to use?
Favorite method/technique?
Season and wrap then into the fridge overnight or just rub and go?
225 or 250?
4hrs then wrap, 4 hours then pan and cover?
Spritz during first time period or nah?
Apple cider/juice in water dish?
Apple or mesquite chunks for pork butt (used applewood for the bird and liked that flavor)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA!!

I'm a minimalist when it comes to smoking.

Brine or no? Absolutely not. If smoked/cooked long enough to melt the collagen, it will be tender and juicy all on its own.

Favorite rub to use? Pappy's Low Salt, but they are a West Coast company. I use low salt rubs because you get more herbs and spices. You can ways add salt if needed.

Favorite method/technique? Depends on the smoker. I do hot n fast on my Kettle, Low n slow overnight with a hot n fast finish on my WSM.

Season and wrap then into the fridge overnight or just rub and go? Rub and go.

225 or 250? Any temp you want at or above 225°F. I've done butts as high as 375°F in 6 -8 hours and they tasted as juicy and delicious as 225°F for 20+ hours.Butts don't care.

4hrs then wrap, 4 hours then pan and cover? Nekkid start to finish. Only wrap or pan and cover if you want to save the drippings for soups, gravies, and stews. Leaving the butt nekkid until the IT reaches 180°F will give you a firmer bark.

Spritz during first time period or nah? Don't waste the time, spritz, or heat.

Apple cider/juice in water dish? Dry smoke.

Apple or mesquite chunks for pork butt (used applewood for the bird and liked that flavor)? Love both. Prefer mesquite.

Reactions: tallbm
I'm a minimalist when it comes to smoking.

Brine or no? Absolutely not. If smoked/cooked long enough to melt the collagen, it will be tender and juicy all on its own.

Favorite rub to use? Pappy's Low Salt, but they are a West Coast company. I use low salt rubs because you get more herbs and spices. You can ways add salt if needed.

Favorite method/technique? Depends on the smoker. I do hot n fast on my Kettle, Low n slow overnight with a hot n fast finish on my WSM.

Season and wrap then into the fridge overnight or just rub and go? Rub and go.

225 or 250? Any temp you want at or above 225°F. I've done butts as high as 375°F in 6 -8 hours and they tasted as juicy and delicious as 225°F for 20+ hours.Butts don't care.

4hrs then wrap, 4 hours then pan and cover? Nekkid start to finish. Only wrap or pan and cover if you want to save the drippings for soups, gravies, and stews. Leaving the butt nekkid until the IT reaches 180°F will give you a firmer bark.

Spritz during first time period or nah? Don't waste the time, spritz, or heat.

Apple cider/juice in water dish? Dry smoke.

Apple or mesquite chunks for pork butt (used applewood for the bird and liked that flavor)? Love both. Prefer mesquite.
I do like your minimalist outlook here. I think I will give these tips a try this time.

Much appreciated and I will report back tomorrow as I get into it.

Reactions: noboundaries
I do like your minimalist outlook here. I think I will give these tips a try this time.

Much appreciated and I will report back tomorrow as I get into it.

I believe noboundaries noboundaries and I are in 99.9999% agreement!!!

To reiterate:

Absoltuely do not brine.

Rub/seasoning, I go simple with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and paprika (SPOG+Paprika). You can go equal parts of all of them. If u look at pork rubs these seasonings are in the top5-6 listed which means u are paying high dollar for simple seasonings just mixed in a bottle for u :)

No need to season and wrap and put in fridge. Yep pull out of package and rub while its wet and juicy/bloody and go like NB says.

Method, I go 275F the whole time because a pork butt does not care what temp it is cooked at as long as it is not burning. IMPORTANT: if you use a rub/seasoning with sugar the sugar can burn and become bitter with temps over 250F I think (double check the temp to confirm). As you notice I dont use sugar.
If you want to use sugar u can easily shake it in after you shred along with additional seasoning as needed OR you can apply sugar or a bbq sauce when it hits like 195F Internal Temp (IT).
Personally I find everyone likes it better when they can customize on their plate with sauces, additional seasoning, etc. and it keeps things super simple. Everyone wins.

4hr/4hr wrap in smoker - I also suggest going naked the whole time. If you wrap meats too early they simply taste like oven roasts. Why waste hours and hours of time and effort to make what turns out to be an oven roast. I never wrap anything below an Internal Temp of 180F even if I have to wrap something (chucks and brisket flat only are the things I am forced to wrap).
One thing I do HIGHLY suggest is to cut a split into your pork butt all the way to the bone. Going from the meat side until it hits the bone, the whole length of the butt as indicated by this picture:
1656188318699.png

The bone will keep it from being cut into 2 pieces.
Now spread the meat out some and season well all in there as well. When you go to smoke it, lay it on the rack spread out.
This will allow you to get max smoke penetration deep into the meat that would normally get none. It allows for seasoning and bark to get onto more area of the meat where it normally would not get.
This increases flavor 10x over and I found I never have to add any finishing sauce or additional seasoning to my pork butts when I shred them. This was the one practice that turned my porkbutt from being great to exceptional!!! Also it results in less work in the end since u dont have to add sauce or seasoning once shredded so it makes life easier for u :)

Spritz or mop??? No way, its a waste of time and heat. Instead watch TV and relax.

As for liquid in your dish. I would leave that up to you and how your smoker behaves. My MES needs no additional moisture and holds temps well. If I ever had a smoker that needed me to have liquid I would go water. All my other techniques give the most amazing flavor that there is no need to attempt apple cider which i hear doesnt really impart flavor or any that matters.

Wood. Your preference. You will be fine with either or a combo of either. I live in TX so smoking pork, chicken, etc. with Mesquite is not foreign to me/us and makes good food no matter what. If you are still earning with mesquite I would say go 75% Apple 25% Mesquite so you don't introduce the complexity of properly managing mesquite smoke and having things go sideways :)

It is my firm believe that people turn out good BBQ IN SPITE of all the things they do. I usually find that the simpler it is the better it becomes because there is less to get in the way.
The main thing to remember about a pork butt, it is only ready when it is tender.
It is tender when you stab all over with something like a kabob skewer and it goes in without any resistance.
I start checking for tenderness on a Pork Butt around a meat's Internal Temp (IT) of 203F.

I believe noboundaries noboundaries and I are in 99.9999% agreement!!!

To reiterate:

Absoltuely do not brine.

Rub/seasoning, I go simple with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and paprika (SPOG+Paprika). You can go equal parts of all of them. If u look at pork rubs these seasonings are in the top5-6 listed which means u are paying high dollar for simple seasonings just mixed in a bottle for u :)

No need to season and wrap and put in fridge. Yep pull out of package and rub while its wet and juicy/bloody and go like NB says.

Method, I go 275F the whole time because a pork butt does not care what temp it is cooked at as long as it is not burning. IMPORTANT: if you use a rub/seasoning with sugar the sugar can burn and become bitter with temps over 250F I think (double check the temp to confirm). As you notice I dont use sugar.
If you want to use sugar u can easily shake it in after you shred along with additional seasoning as needed OR you can apply sugar or a bbq sauce when it hits like 195F Internal Temp (IT).
Personally I find everyone likes it better when they can customize on their plate with sauces, additional seasoning, etc. and it keeps things super simple. Everyone wins.

4hr/4hr wrap in smoker - I also suggest going naked the whole time. If you wrap meats too early they simply taste like oven roasts. Why waste hours and hours of time and effort to make what turns out to be an oven roast. I never wrap anything below an Internal Temp of 180F even if I have to wrap something (chucks and brisket flat only are the things I am forced to wrap).
One thing I do HIGHLY suggest is to cut a split into your pork butt all the way to the bone. Going from the meat side until it hits the bone, the whole length of the butt as indicated by this picture:
View attachment 635651

The bone will keep it from being cut into 2 pieces.
Now spread the meat out some and season well all in there as well. When you go to smoke it, lay it on the rack spread out.
This will allow you to get max smoke penetration deep into the meat that would normally get none. It allows for seasoning and bark to get onto more area of the meat where it normally would not get.
This increases flavor 10x over and I found I never have to add any finishing sauce or additional seasoning to my pork butts when I shred them. This was the one practice that turned my porkbutt from being great to exceptional!!! Also it results in less work in the end since u dont have to add sauce or seasoning once shredded so it makes life easier for u :)

Spritz or mop??? No way, its a waste of time and heat. Instead watch TV and relax.

As for liquid in your dish. I would leave that up to you and how your smoker behaves. My MES needs no additional moisture and holds temps well. If I ever had a smoker that needed me to have liquid I would go water. All my other techniques give the most amazing flavor that there is no need to attempt apple cider which i hear doesnt really impart flavor or any that matters.

Wood. Your preference. You will be fine with either or a combo of either. I live in TX so smoking pork, chicken, etc. with Mesquite is not foreign to me/us and makes good food no matter what. If you are still earning with mesquite I would say go 75% Apple 25% Mesquite so you don't introduce the complexity of properly managing mesquite smoke and having things go sideways :)

It is my firm believe that people turn out good BBQ IN SPITE of all the things they do. I usually find that the simpler it is the better it becomes because there is less to get in the way.
The main thing to remember about a pork butt, it is only ready when it is tender.
It is tender when you stab all over with something like a kabob skewer and it goes in without any resistance.
I start checking for tenderness on a Pork Butt around a meat's Internal Temp (IT) of 203F.

Tallbm,

I really like the suggestion of slicing down the middle and seasoning in there. I will definitely give that a try. And the tip about the sugar is a good one. I knew that, but was not thinking about it as I was trying to come up with my own rub spice blend.

What is this complexity of properly managing mesquite smoke of which you speak? I was really planning on going with just the mesquite chunks this time, but now I am uncertain.

One thing I realize I did not ask about before was: soak the wood chunks or not? And if so, for how long?

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!!

Mesquite is a strong tasting wood. It's about all I use, but use half as much as you would another type wood or it can overpower all flavors in a bad way.
Ahhhh, ok. That makes sense. I will do a 50/50 mix so I don’t run out of smoke.

Soak or no soak?

Tallbm,

I really like the suggestion of slicing down the middle and seasoning in there. I will definitely give that a try. And the tip about the sugar is a good one. I knew that, but was not thinking about it as I was trying to come up with my own rub spice blend.

What is this complexity of properly managing mesquite smoke of which you speak? I was really planning on going with just the mesquite chunks this time, but now I am uncertain.

One thing I realize I did not ask about before was: soak the wood chunks or not? And if so, for how long?

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated!!
noboundaries noboundaries has you covered. I don't believe you want to soak your wood chunks, just bury them and roll with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky