My first attempt at Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
So here i go my first attempt at a Smoked turkey, if it ends up being a failure i wont be two upset because it was free. so had it in a brine solution since this one had apple juice, water, salt of cores and sugar, it was in that for about 12 hours.
right out of the brine with ground mustard seed rub
DSCF3449.JPG

into the MES with hickory and mesquite chips. according to the Inkbird blutooth it hit the done temp about two hours to early. so going to finish in oven and to crisp the skin. here's out of smoker
DSCF3452.JPG

and a shot of the drippings
DSCF3454.JPG

out of the
skin got a little crisper was worried about drying it out so i stopped it
DSCF3456.JPG

Tried a small piece tasted pretty good, a little salty but not to bad. the chips i used gave a nice flavor.

Looks good, Mesquite is a little strong for me.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good! Did you use the drippings for a gravy or was it too salty?

Did not use it is sitting in my fridge in a mason jar, tried some was very salty, will probably add to some other stock i made, a Miso one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky