My first ABTs

Discussion in 'ABT's' started by kurt boutin, Oct 4, 2014.

1. kurt boutin

kurt boutin Fire Starter

I'm doing a crab and cream cheese, with 3 cheese blend, and some old bay seasoning 

and

Li'l smokies with cream cheese, 3 cheese blend, and some of my rib rub...here's some Q View...before...no afters yet...they're still on the grill..  they're on indirect about 225-250 ...we'll see how it all works out.

2. I bet they will be very tasty. Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a winner to me.

4. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Should be tasty!

5. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

No finished product Pics ??[​IMG]

6. kurt boutin

kurt boutin Fire Starter

I got finished near midnight last night...overall...success...issues:

Bacon wasn't as cooked/crispy as I'd liked.

Crab stuffing wasn't "crabby" enough...could have used more old bay seasoning.  Smokies were good.

7. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Direct heat and higher heat will solve your bacon issue. Typically when I do ABT's I'm running my smoker at 285+. Next time if they are under done pop them on a hot grill or throw them under the broiler in the oven for a few minutes.

8. kurt boutin

kurt boutin Fire Starter

Got that...everything I'd read said indirect heat, but for the last half hour or so, I put them direct and that helped.  I may play around with it a bit.

9. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Look delicious !

10. OK, Iam gearing up for my first effort tomorrow. I thought they were just thrown on the grate for the full time. Am I wrong about that?

11. kurt boutin

kurt boutin Fire Starter

They are.   The main issue on my end is that I didn't know how my grill would work with them, apparently.  Just keep an eye on things and when the bacon is done, you're good!  Oh, and post pics because otherwise, you'll get hammered by guys here! :)

Kurt

crazymoon likes this.