My favorite batch of pulled pork yet...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars on rubs. Hell, I've spent about $400 these past few months alone. But I have to say, my favorite batch of pulled pork I've EVER done was this most recent batch. Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, granulated garlic. Smoked at 225 over lump charcoal and hickory and pecan wood. Honestly, I don't know if I'm willing to try any other way.

Maybe there is something to this, since I did those three racks of ribs a few weeks ago and the SPG was my favorite of those as well. Can't get much cheaper or easier than that!

"Sometimes, less is more better" is how my grandfather put it. For perspective, in those days they did not use the term "rub", it was just a 'seasoning'. I know there was a Mason jar labeled chicken and one labeled pork. I wish I knew exactly what was in those but there was some chile powder. I do know his brisket, flank and chuck just had salt and pepper.

Simple is better for sure. I do like to use rubs on different things but for me salt,pepper,smoke is all it needs! Especially on ribs! Love them that way! Pulled pork as well. And what sauce to add??? A little clarified butter goes a long way!

Reactions: olaf and HalfSmoked
Simple is better for sure. I do like to use rubs on different things but for me salt,pepper,smoke is all it needs! Especially on ribs! Love them that way! Pulled pork as well. And what sauce to add??? A little clarified butter goes a long way!

In the Carolinas, with all the whole hog and full shoulder BBQ places... many still use salt and pepper only, the other flavor comes at the end. Most have a vinegar back flavor... but it's all good.
7IsLL.jpg

Speaking of clarified butter.... Some of the best ribs I have ever had were basted with melted lard. Yep, good old Snow Cap Lard. Think about the source. It's a pig on pig kind of thing. Basting grilled chicken with melted lard is also awesome. Just don't share this with your Cardiologist.
lXcn4kL.jpg

Speaking of clarified butter.... Some of the best ribs I have ever had were basted with melted lard. Yep, good old Snow Cap Lard. Think about the source. It's a pig on pig kind of thing. Basting grilled chicken with melted lard is also awesome. Just don't share this with your Cardiologist.
View attachment 460639

As a cardiac nurse I don’t condone this. But as a guy that loves to eat I say bring it on!
Jim

SP&G is pretty much my got to rub for everything. I put bacon drippings in my mashed potatoes, this evening. I will definitely try basting my next ribs and chicken with lard.

In the Carolinas, with all the whole hog and full shoulder BBQ places... many still use salt and pepper only, the other flavor comes at the end. Most have a vinegar back flavor... but it's all good.
View attachment 460638

View attachment 460639
I just happen to have a tub of lard. I use it when making authentic Mexican re-fried beans. I smoke ribs often so my very next rib smoking I will break out the lard on em. I will post the results. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Some of the best ribs I have ever had were basted with melted lard. Yep, good old Snow Cap Lard. Think about the source. It's a pig on pig kind of thing.
I love this!!! Just remember all good in moderation! (This is a do as I say not as I do thing! Lol!)

I've been an SPOG user for years, but recently Stubbs pork rub has made it onto my ribs and pork tenderloins. Both the wife and I really like it.

Chris

I'm the same way. I have about 15 bottles of various rubs in my cabinet right now, and probably have tried dozens more in the past. I've made my own, used friends' recipes, but for some reason to me my favorite is a generic Kroger KC style brand from my local Dillons. To us it just tastes amazing. Use what works!

I have been using Meatchurch honey hog, it has replaced the Traeger chicken and pork rub in my cabinet

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky