My entry to the Thanksgiving Throwdown "Gravy" Hot Beef Sundae

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
My entry to the Thanksgiving Throwdown "Gravy" Hot Beef Sundae

First I would like to say Thank you to all that helped put all of the Throwdowns together ( Brian bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ) and others
And to chopsaw chopsaw Rich and bauchjw bauchjw Jed for also entering with great foods
I hope and wish more would enter, so we keep getting sponsors to donate to these. It is all in fun guys .

Hot Beef Sundae " ,Smoked Roast Beef and Onion Gravy over Whipped Mashed Potatoes with Cheddar and Bacon sprinkles Topped with Sour Cream and Cherry Tomatoes
Now on to how I did this

Started with 2 -1 1/4 +/- pound Inside Round Oven Roast, salt and pepper coated and into the fridge for 4 hours

DSC_6016.JPG DSC_6018.JPG

Into the smoker for 2 hours Smoker at 250- 265 deg. with Hickory , Brought it to 139Deg. IT
While this was going on I did up the rest of the ingredients Bacon for the sprinkles and the onions for the gravy which I fried in the pan of bacon drippings

DSC_6023.JPG DSC_6024.JPG DSC_6025.JPG

DSC_6027.JPG DSC_6028.JPG

Made a broth from the bacon pan and the fried onions and soya sauce and Worcestershire and a little beef broth, put roasts in pan covered and back into the smoker for another 2 hours +/- until it came up to 202 Deg. Smoker was rolling at 180+Deg. Pulled let it sit for 20 minutes and than seared in the pan from the bacon and onion fry.

DSC_6030.JPG DSC_6032.JPG

DSC_6034.JPG DSC_6035.JPG DSC_6037.JPG

Sliced than small cubes for the meal, Man this was juicy and tender. Nice ring on to it also

DSC_6038.JPG

DSC_6041.JPG

DSC_6042.JPG

Diced all and into the broth for a bit while I got the potatoes going, and grated up the cheese sprinkles . Did not think you needed pictures of me boiling potatoes and mashing them, lol

DSC_6043.JPG

DSC_6044.JPG

DSC_6045.JPG

Made a roux out of butter and flour, added to the pan of the beef and the broth. Had to have a bowl of this while making
So got all ready and plated it up 2 big scoops of mashed potatoes than lots of the beef and gravy poured over top . Sprinkled with the bacon and cheddar cheese. 2 spoons of sour cream and topped with a couple nice cherry tomatoes

DSC_6046.JPG 1 Hot Beef Sundae.JPG

I took lots of pictures of coarse and it was hard to pick the right one ,
But it was fun to do and YES i ate these and an other plate the next day

1 Hot Beef Sundae.JPG

I know long winded but had fun doing and For a very cold day 2 deg. C ( 35 F ) and windy. Glad I had the " Smokers Shack "
to do this in .

Again thank you all for voting and enjoying the pictures as much as I enjoyed building and eating this

Merry Christmas to everyone and safe holidays

David

Attachments

• DSC_6026.JPG
    DSC_6026.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_6029.JPG
    DSC_6029.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_6031.JPG
    DSC_6031.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_6033.JPG
    DSC_6033.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_6036.JPG
    DSC_6036.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_6039.JPG
    DSC_6039.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nicely done David, very creative. I like the idea of bacon jimmies.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nicely done David, very creative. I like the idea of bacon jimmies.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Fun trying to figure what i wanted to post/make , had a few ideas . This one was what I went with and I'm glad I did because it was great.

And yes the bacon sprinkles were a good add on

David

Congrats on the win David and thanks for posting. This is truly a meal near and dear to my heart. Meat, taters, gravy, cheese, bacon...I mean come on, what more could a person ask for? You have every required food group in one serving dish, except for maybe the beer :emoji_laughing: Excellent job my friend and a great post.

Robert

Nice work, David! I'd be comatose after that bowl LOL!
I've never heard of that cut of meat but it sure looks good....
Dan

Thanks Dan for the like and the comment

After making and eating lots of this I had to sit back and watch TV with my eyes closed. After I did the dishes of coarse.

David

Edit : sorry I meant to say this cut of meat is new to me and our stores as of the last year also.

David

Last edited:
Congrats on the win! As a newbie here and trying to follow the contests, it would be fantastic if every winner had some kind of recipe/description. I’m always looking for a recipe to copy!

Congrats on the win David and thanks for posting. This is truly a meal near and dear to my heart. Meat, taters, gravy, cheese, bacon...I mean come on, what more could a person ask for? You have every required food group in one serving dish, except for maybe the beer :emoji_laughing: Excellent job my friend and a great post.

Robert

Thank you Robert for the like and the comment

Thank you about the win, it was nice. And it is a great batch of food groups all done up in a nice paper dish, lol

I love everything on this also ( well not a big fan of the sour cream , but I dealt with it , as there was lots of beef and onion gravy, and bacon and mashjed potato , well you know lots of good stuff.

Not much on beer but place a little glass of rum of Tequila well i'm all smiles then.

David

Congrats on the win! As a newbie here and trying to follow the contests, it would be fantastic if every winner had some kind of recipe/description. I’m always looking for a recipe to copy!

Thanks for the like and the comment Lindy

I normally always post a recipe if I can on any of my cooks/smokes. But almost always the description and how I did it.

This one is mostly just your regular items and made as I went along. If there is anything in particular
that I can help you with , Please just ask and I will try and help you with that.
I still consider myself very new ( Jan. 2021 ) to Smoking and curing meats/foods, But everyone here is very helpful. And makes me want to do it right and safe
But still have some fun.

David

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this earlier David, that was one hell of a cook and a fine piece of work! RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

Don't worry about that at all. As long as you found it and enjoyed it . That works for me

It was fun to do , and the roast was great. I have not smoked a lot of beef roasts , but this was hard to stop picking on while making everything for the final pictures

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky