My diy smoker first cook (vid)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tommie_a

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 25, 2023
🇬🇧
Morning all! Well it’s a beautiful Sunday here in the Uk, got up at 6.30 and got the fire lit, smoking a gammon for Sunday lunch, I took on everyone’s advice from before (thanks to all!), tried a few different offsetting techniques and ended up just putting a water pan directly under the meat, Im getting a steady 120c for about 3 hours now, using the minion method.

smoking with apple and hickory. We’re about half way though (35c)

Little video below. Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Turned out well! Did a little brown sugar/honey/mustard/cinnamon and apple cider vinegar glaze for the last 20 mins and wrapped it
597CCE07-F38B-4E6C-9BF5-9B69AEBD336A.jpeg

Had to look up Gammon, " cured pork leg " is what I found
It looks really good and the brown sugar/honey/mustard/cinnamon and apple cider vinegar glaze
Sounds good

David
Haha I forgot that’s just the British name, you can get cured/pre cooked but this was “green” (uncooked), it’s just a boneless “ham” I suppose, now that I’m comfortable with the temp control on the smoker I’ll continue with brisket next weekend

Glad to hear the maiden cook for the new temp control worked out. Did you happen to do any biscuit test to see how even it is cooking?

Reactions: Tommie_a
Glad to hear the maiden cook for the new temp control worked out. Did you happen to do any biscuit test to see how even it is cooking?
I didn’t actually, but I used the instant read probe every now and then just out of interest and it seemed to be cooking pretty evenly all round

Reactions: JLeonard
Had to look up Gammon, " cured pork leg " is what I found
It looks really good and the brown sugar/honey/mustard/cinnamon and apple cider vinegar glaze
Sounds good

David
I did the same…and then I had to convert C to F. looks Like it turned out great! And that glaze…well it sounds like absolute perfection. Glad the cooker is doing great for you.

Jim

I did the same…and then I had to convert C to F. looks Like it turned out great! And that glaze…well it sounds like absolute perfection. Glad the cooker is doing great for you.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

Yes I myself need to convert to F from now on, as I am constantly converting all the temperatures on this forum to C 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky