My "Cockspatched" Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaldEagleOne

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 10, 2018
I say cockspatched instead of spatchcocked because I carelessly removed the breast bone instead of the back bone. Nevertheless, I was able to spread out the carcass so that the breast skin was up. the smoked skin was flaccid and on the sweet side, probably because there was too much mayo/rub applied to the turkey. and I used regular mayo instead of the sugarless that Jeff used. The meat was wonderful, not only immediately after the smoke, but cold, too. Last night my wife cooked up some fettuccini noodles which along with the mayo/rub leftovers, chopped onions, mushrooms, and some turkey leftovers, made up Fettuccin-Jeff Alfredo. Really excellent.

Reactions: kruizer
Glad it came out good for you

Lol , that bones tough to cut too. Next time I think I may just cut mine in half.
Pretty much how I smoke a turkey. I cut the backbone out, cut down through the breastbone, flatten it out and cut the remaining skin connecting the two halves. I find separating a turkey into two pieces makes it much easier to deal with, both getting it on and off the smoker, as well as carving the finished product. Chickens are fine in one piece, but turkeys, not so much.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky