My chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 16, 2009
Summerville, SC
I was just me and the kids last night and I had these thighs staring at me. I had heard of competition guys scraping the skin in order to get it crispy. I gave it a whirl.

Although the effort did not reveal any "crispy" skin to my liking, it did make for some tasty, moist and tender thighs.

Normal thighs.

I deboned and skinned them. Trimmed all the fat off the meat and scraped the skin until it became translucent.

Seasoned the inside of the skin with a little rub blend the wrapped the skins back over the thighs with the rub against the meat.

Left them to sit in the fridge and dry up a tad. They needed a little something else so I add bacon.
A little smoking at about 275 over a little oak..

Made for a nice meal!

I've come to the reality that the only way I like chicken skin is if it's fried..

On my next batch I'm going to smoke them in the 325-350 range and see what happens..

I smoke all my chicken at higher temps. Crispy skin every time. Air dry the skin over night for best results. Way easier than scrapping the meat. A lite dredge of salt, flour corn starch and parking powder prior to drying will help too. 1/4 flour 1/4 cup corn starch 2 tblsp Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.

Last edited:
Reactions: pit 4 brains
Parking powder??

Is that what you call this mixture: 1/4 flour 1/4 cup corn starch 2 tblsp Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.?

Sounds good. I'll try anything to make chicken better.

Thanks.. Points to ya

I've come to the reality that the only way I like chicken skin is if it's fried..
On my next batch I'm going to smoke them in the 325-350 range and see what happens..

I know the feeling. I've had pretty good luck cooking thighs in the Weber kettle using the indirect trays. Put them on each side with some wood chips and chicken in the middle. Gets good flavor and crispy skin. Probably around the 350° mark so I bet your idea will work.

Your dinner still looks great though! If I figure out how this thing works I'll send you a point.

I know the feeling. I've had pretty good luck cooking thighs in the Weber kettle using the indirect trays. Put them on each side with some wood chips and chicken in the middle. Gets good flavor and crispy skin. Probably around the 350° mark so I bet your idea will work.

Your dinner still looks great though! If I figure out how this thing works I'll send you a point.
Click the little "thumbs up " icon in the lower right of the post. It'll drop down and allow you leave a comment as well...

Thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky