My butt is on the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
Smoking a pork butt today.

Traeger Pro 34
Apple pellets

We usually start out with 225 but I am gonna bump it to 250 after 2 hours and see how it goes. Running an 8 inch or so smoke tube which typically gives us about 4 hours of smoke. We will wrap at the stall with butcher paper.

Want to experiment with the slightly higher temp as that was from previous advise. I know with a pellet that higher temps mean less smoke but hopefully the first 2 hours and tube will take care of that.

5D2324B3-A624-4A68-B28E-641625249664.jpeg

Lookin good . Enjoy . I'm trying to decide what I want to cook today .
We usually start out with 225 but I am gonna bump it to 250 after 2 hours and see how it goes.
My kettles like to run at 260 when set up for long smokes . I like the results and default to that temp when using my pellet grill . Smoke low first , then bump up 50 degrees every 30 minutes and walk it into the final cook temp . Seems to me that the burning of fresh pellets to raise the temp increase the smoke on the food .

Good plan. I run my pellet grill on the lowest setting for an hour or two to get the smoke on, then up it to 275. Your plan is similar. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working on the yard as Mrs SA has been tending my butt. Delayed stall with this one. Hot about 175 or so when she wrapped it. About 180 now.
BF00357B-378A-45F2-92B3-9F784A15C1BE.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Redoing the pool pump area while we smoke the butt. It was just a mud pit and we decided to put a paver patio area in to help control the mess. In digging it out I found a 4x6 concrete pad under the muck. Gonna add another 32 SF of patio block around it. Maple tree in the area that had terrible surface roots with it. Today I was digging with an axe so that is all done and it’s time to start laying the base which means I get to enjoy sone pulled pork tonight as a reward.

Butt hit 200+ and is now in the cooler. Forgot to tell Mrs SA to turn up the temp so it ran at 250 even after being wrapped. About 9.5 hours for a 7 pounder on the smoker.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky