My Burnt ends were tough!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joben

Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Kansas
So I went to the butcher, and asked for the point from a packer he had laying around.  He obliged me and I took it home. Seasoned it up and smoked it 3.5 hours at 225-250. I pulled it at 250.  I let it sit in a cooler for one hour.  I then cubed it. sauce and rubbed it and threw it back in the smoker for another hour.  Served em up for dinner and they were tough as leather.

Only second time doing burnt ends.  Did the same thing last time. Last time they worked, this time they didn't. Thoughts?

The point weighed a little under 3 lb's starting out.

150!!! WOW, 250 would have been ridiculous. HA!

Ok , I thought so , but now....doesn't 150 seem low? I feel like if you cook the brisket the first time to almost done....say , 190? , then cook it the extra hour....then you're sure you've broken down that connective tissue and rendered the fat....I feel like maybe you didn't cook that brisky long enough.....you know?

Last edited:
"I do a lot lower temps on the point before cubing...upper 150's to lower 160's...gives more of a popping chew in the center, and far less risk of drying out the interior. The higher the I/T when you pull it to cube, the higher the risk of drying out when they're finished. Cube to about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2"...I toss in a very light costing of sauce, then return to open grates for a great crunchy bark and moderately tender chew with a snapping/popping bite in the center.

There are a couple of my brisket smokes in my signature line, most with BEs."

- I had followed that advice.... Next time I will try to 190.  Thanks for the help. this place has great knowledge 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky