My biggest smoke yet!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
Tomorrow we are heading to Maine for my Son and Daughter's B day party. The party is on Saturday and I have been asked to bring the smoker (mind you I have a small wally world special offset charcoal smoker that was given to m for free). I am trying to figure out which smoker I want to buy so we have not pulled that trigger yet. Anyway, I am going to smoke all afternoon/night at my folks house tomorrow, foil everything except the beer butt chicken which will be smoked on Saturday morning, the wrap it up in a cooler and reheat on the smoker the next day (it will already be warmed up do to the chic). Here is the menu: everything was rubbed down tonight and wrapped up

4 Racks of BB's rubbed down tonight w/ Jeff's rub

1 small Pork loin rubbed with Mccormick pork rub and wrapped in bacon

1 whole chicken rubbed w/ homemade rub/weber beer can chic rub mixture

2 dz ears of corn to be rubbed on sat morning

I know this is not a huge lot for most of you, but I have never done this much for one meal. I am looking forward to a long day tomorrow of cold beer and hot TBS!!  Like I said I am going to smoke tomorrow, foil, wrap in cooler, and reheat on Sat. I am not going to be able to fit it all on, so it will be done in stages. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this large for me smoke fest.

Here is everyone getting ready for the party.

cc3b1a6a_IMG00423-20100819-1856.jpg

Dauntless, Soak the corn in water for an hour or so and then put on the smoker, don't wrap the corn in foil. Captain Morgan is a good shot or mixed drink or spritzing liquid.

Here is my tip: Keep the meat out of the beer cooler

Good Luck Tomorrow 

Good luck with the big smoke and make sure you post up some great qview - Your plan sounds great and like was said above soak for a while and smoke away

Looks like ya got a plan, best of luck to ya and I hope you get to enjoy a great day kickin back and sipping a cool one. Just one tip from experience, I always try to prep the chicken while I am sober. Once ya start drinkin its hard to span the time it takes to prep the chicken and you may grab that beer and take a drink. Well long story short,  just a little chicken juice on that beer can and you may be making a few extra trips to the bathroom.

On the beer chicken, I have sometimes had it darken a little to much. My solution has been to set the can holder into a small pan, then make a tent from foil, making sure that it does not touch the bird.

Well the 4 racks of ribs are done and they look like some of the best ones I have done, pork loin is on now, beer but chic first thing in the morning. No Q view till tomorrow, got another 3 hours or so ahead of me tonight. Plenty of beer still on ice and I have been saving a hand rolled cuban for such an occassion, everyone else is asleep.....time to smoke and have another cold one in the peaceful night air! Will post pics in the am, thanks for all the advice!!

Well the 4 racks of ribs are done and they look like some of the best ones I have done, pork loin is on now, beer but chic first thing in the morning. No Q view till tomorrow, got another 3 hours or so ahead of me tonight. Plenty of beer still on ice and I have been saving a hand rolled cuban for such an occassion, everyone else is asleep.....time to smoke and have another cold one in the peaceful night air! Will post pics in the am, thanks for all the advice!!
See ya in the morning, enjoy that cuban.
icon_cool.gif

Well all that is left is the beer butt chicken which is going on now, I do have a question however.  I did not sauce the ribs last night before I foiled and wrapped them up, I plan on reheating in the smoker so my question is when I reheat them should I leave them in foil or not, also if I do leave them foiled do I sauce them in the foil. Any help would be great!

I have never reheated ribs, however if I were going to I would reheat in the foil then take them out and sauce them durring the last 5-10 minutes. I am sure someone has done this before and will tell you how they did it.

Dennis

well, I re-spritz ut back in foil, gonna heat at around 240-250 for 45mins, unfoil sauce and heat another 15mins or so and call it good. we shall see. Q-view will be coming shortly

Well, between feeding everyone and keeping a cold one in my hand all day I went a little past shortly :)

Here ya go sorry no shots of the chicken

62f3b14f_IMG00424-20100821-1420.jpg

2a036763_IMG00425-20100821-1425.jpg

c6614944_IMG00426-20100821-1427.jpg

Well, between feeding everyone and keeping a cold one in my hand all day I went a little past shortly :)

Here ya go sorry no shots of the chicken

62f3b14f_IMG00424-20100821-1420.jpg
 Even with no shot of the chicken, the rest is looking pretty darn good.

I gotta say though that I am not getting that "fall off the bone" doneness that I have heard about. I am using the 2-2-1 method to a tee, spritzing every hour, keeping temps between 220-240 but there is still a big pull on the meat. I am looking for some real fall off the bone stuff, any idears, thanks in advance!

bump it up to a 3-2-1 method and should give you what you looking for.... personally i like a lil tug on my ribs. just as long as they come off the bone fairly clean is the way i like them. have had them so fall off the bone where bones fall thru the racks etc... and the texture of the meat isnt that great, almost kind of mushy. but cook them how you like them. thats what its all about.

That is the thing, there is way to much pull. The meat is not coming clean off the bone. I do not want mush, but I do not want to have to gnaw on them either. I thought the 3-2-1 was to much for BB's?

usually the 2-2-1 gives me good results on BB's. But making a good rib usually is a work in progress. keep playing with your times and rubs and sauces etc and work your way closer and closer each time. best thing is, you do have to eat your expieriments and i am sure you are to the point where they are still good eating!!!!

the taste is great, I ma thinking back the temps down to 220-230, and had a little time before foil. Maybe like a 2.5-2-1

Dayntles, I know you won't be able to get one of these early enough, but I like showing it off:

Here's some of a Wedding Party for Sat.-

All split and readt to go
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Have fun and,

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky