my best buck so far

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodsman5150

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
I made family history with my best free range East Texas Whitetail ever. I can not express the emotion that went through my mind as walked toward this deer and watch the antlers grow with every step.The next day got I over my thrill and the serious work began.
20171105_164610.jpg

Seasoned deer hunters know when the buck is down the real work starts.I forgot to ask my cousin to leave his gate unlocked for me.I had to drag this 211 pounds about 1/4 mile to the gate and get him on the tailgate of my truck alone in the Trinity river bottom,ibuprofen was my closest ally at camp that night.That night I caped and quartered my trophy,ate morning breakfast and told the story many times to friends and family around the campfire. Once home washing,removing fascia and sinew debonning took place.
20171106_233710.jpg
20171106_235954.jpg

I fired up the (I thought cheap grinder) I got off ebay 12 years ago.Around 14 deer and several hogs have traveled the chute on this 59.99 grinder to fame. My Northern Tool sausage press has not failed my 60/40 mix either.
20171107_093859.jpg
20171107_123424.jpg

I did a thread on my back yard smoke house, after a couple test burns to "season" it -I had no time between family work and the hunt "tweak"the design,I was able to reach a good temp for cold smoking. I want a higher temp so I did not smoke my entire batch,worried about the temp so I used a little pink salt in my seasoning also.
20171107_163807.jpg
20171107_163840.jpg

finished product pics later. Had to go back to work,but I had an awesome hunt and it ain't over.

Nice buck!
So you just used some cure #1 with no other seasonings and then stuffed into casings then warm smoked?

Nice buck!
So you just used some cure #1 with no other seasonings and then stuffed into casings then warm smoked?

I used the LEM's brand of "breakfast"sausage seasoning/and Lems' collagen casing from Academy here in TX,I put lest than a teaspoon of pink salt in my mix for a cure during cold smoke. I'm no pro sausage making but I want to learn. I had a package of seasoning that I bought from a butcher,he's suffered a stroke and family closed his shop.

Adding cure was a good call for cold/warm smoking. I am no critic, but without discerning your exact measurements of meat to the amount of cure for safe levels is of importance. Generally speaking straight cure #1 is used 1 level teaspoon for 5 lbs of meat.

Reactions: woodsman5150
I made family history with my best free range East Texas Whitetail ever. I can not express the emotion that went through my mind as walked toward this deer and watch the antlers grow with every step.The next day got I over my thrill and the serious work began.
View attachment 343815
Seasoned deer hunters know when the buck is down the real work starts.I forgot to ask my cousin to leave his gate unlocked for me.I had to drag this 211 pounds about 1/4 mile to the gate and get him on the tailgate of my truck alone in the Trinity river bottom,ibuprofen was my closest ally at camp that night.That night I caped and quartered my trophy,ate morning breakfast and told the story many times to friends and family around the campfire. Once home washing,removing fascia and sinew debonning took place.View attachment 343818 View attachment 343819
I fired up the (I thought cheap grinder) I got off ebay 12 years ago.Around 14 deer and several hogs have traveled the chute on this 59.99 grinder to fame. My Northern Tool sausage press has not failed my 60/40 mix either.
View attachment 343820 View attachment 343821
I did a thread on my back yard smoke house, after a couple test burns to "season" it -I had no time between family work and the hunt "tweak"the design,I was able to reach a good temp for cold smoking. I want a higher temp so I did not smoke my entire batch,worried about the temp so I used a little pink salt in my seasoning also.
View attachment 343822 View attachment 343823
finished product pics later. Had to go back to work,but I had an awesome hunt and it ain't over.

That is one awsome buck you got ! WOW.

HT

Very nice buck .. and I see you are gonna put that new built smokehouse to work.. does your son go hunting with you ??? I remember when he helped you with that smokehouse .. lol

Very nice buck .. and I see you are gonna put that new built smokehouse to work.. does your son go hunting with you ??? I remember when he helped you with that smokehouse .. lol

If I'd had that boy with me at that time,that buck would still be a wish not a incredible reality- I pray to see him take a buck/doe one day,time is flying. I got a family sized ground blind for us ready to go. Thanks griz400.

Reactions: 73saint
Congratulations Sir! That is an outstanding East Texas deer. You may want to look up REO Seasonings on the internet and look at their sausage seasonings. They are located in Huntsville, Texas and their seasonings are excellent.

Wow that buck is amazing congrats!

As someone mentioned above the amount of cure is 1 teaspoon of cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat if you are cold smoking.

There is a safety rule to follow that goes:
meat without the proper cure should reach an Internal Temp (IT) of 140F in 4 hours or else it enters the danger zone where bacteria and the toxins could sicken or kill. Just because the bacteria dies doesn't mean the toxins do.

Just keep this in mind when smoking and generally cure #1 should be used to be able to bypass the rule for cold smoking!

Let us know how it all turns out and what else you have planned for the meat :)

Dang'it Man, that is a gorgeous buck and a magnificent rack!
One to definitely be proud of, I bet he looks great on the wall too when he comes back from the taxidermy man.

Gun season is just about to open up for us here in Bama, and that's when I get to work.
I hope I can beat my personal best with a monster like that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky