My Babies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ma?tley ca 1/4 e

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 12, 2006
Mobile, AL
Sunday turned out some of my best ribs yet. I used a new rub:

2 lb. Sugar
8 oz Seasoned salt
2 oz paprika
2 oz chili powder
2 oz black pepper
1/2 oz garlic salt
1/2 oz onion powder
1 oz cumin

This is for bulk, so I cut it down considerably. This is actually Disney's rub from the Flame Tree at Animal Kingdom. Their ribs are o.k. but I did like the rub.

I cooked these on my Great Outdoors gas smoker. I varied the 3-2-1 down to 2-2-1/2. After 2 hours of smoke, I put on a thin coat of bbq sauce and drizzled them with honey. I then wrapped them up for the next 2 hours. After 2 hours wrapped, I opened them up and applied another thin coat of sauce and let them go about 30 more minutes. I forgot to get the apple cider, so I just let them go. I was worried. I usually spray them down a few times. But hey, they turned out moist and delicious. Nothing left but perfectly clean bones.
776a3a50_vbattach10567.jpg

mystickal
those ribs look awesome i am printing your rub recipe now will try it out thanks for the recipe and the great picture
salmonclubber

From where I sit, looks are everything
wink.gif
and those ribs look fantastic! 8)

I NEED RIBS! :D

mystickal,

Man I just got a couple of seconds to jump on a computer out at the job site and the first thing I see is your mouth watering ribs! Awesome job, I can't wait to try your recipe

Awesome work there, mystykal. Those babys look mouth-watering and just perfect! The picture sure sets off a mean craving, I'm gonna have to get a couple racks before this weekend!

Cheers,
Brian

Those are some fine looking ribs. I'm going to have to add your rub recipe to the "Must try" pile. I know my wife will like it as it doesn't call for any red pepper.

Thanks everyone. I struggled with ribs for a long time. They are my favorite food in the world, but I always had trouble cooking them. Now, I get good results and everyone loves them. I told my wife they looked so good, I hated to eat them. She really liked the rub and usually she complains about the rub being too strong. I think I'll stick with this one for a while.

Wes

My wife likes a good rub every now and then.Sorry I just couldnt let that one go,its the heathen in me.

:shock: :P Mine does too, David. For some reason she always falls to sleep when it's her turn to rub me!! :(

how would I reduce those measurements for a smaller amount of the rub with out comprising the exact amounts of ingredients . . .also I use to the table/tea spoon amounts, not oz. do I got to get with it??

I used a digital scale and sized it down to a 1/4 of the original recipe. I didn't convert over to regular measurements, but when I make another batch, I will try.

Wes

thanks wes, I'll keep an eye out, really want to try that rub, I just think those amounts might be too much to make. . . .

gortiz, For less that $20.00 you can pick up an inexpensive digital scale at Wally's World. It will weight in lbs. and ounces or in metric upto 5 lbs.

I find it easier to make large batches of rubs and use what I need and then vacuum seal the rest for later use.

Some of my friends had quit asking for my bread/roll recipes because things are measured by weight instead of volume. Guess what they got for Christmas? :P

two questions, I heard that if you apply the bbq to quick you can burn the ribs with the sugar, and it looks like you did it 1/2 way? Don't get me wrong your pic is incredible. Also, is spraying during the process a little overated then since you didn't even do this time around?

This is the only time that I have not sprayed the ribs. In this case it didn't make a difference. They were not dry at all. I had them wrapped for 2 hours with bbq sauce and then another 20-30 minutes with another coat unwrapped. They didn't burn. Sometimes I don't add any more sauce, just serve it at the table. Sometimes, I use no sauce at all. Just depends on my mood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky