My attempt at the dumbest question of the day 🙂

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Anybody have suggestions on cutting off the skin?

I used this knife and lots of patience
There are several videos that can help

Some folks opt to cure with the skin on - you need to use less cure if you do this. Then after hot smoking, the skin will peel off easily. At least that's what I've been told, I never tried it that way. Be sure to save the skin for cracklins.

I think most of us buy bellies with skin off cause it's pretty hard to skin them well.

Ok...Day 1 of the cure...and it was apparently just ONE 😳 large belly. I even had to trim off some ribs.

I have no idea if this is going to work, but we'll see 🙏🏻😁!
Do I need to flip them at all even though they're weighted down?

E5D5C76B-ADE7-4558-A161-16635D6E5685.jpeg 8CCF3ED3-340C-405C-B5DD-1873F8BB0B70.jpeg CE7DEE3E-638B-4792-BABF-A90765B59269.jpeg 7C44A6E7-3154-4591-8B2E-8DBB3BD99277.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
that was one full belly.
Better choice is to cut down lengthwise and maybe widthwise to fit your slicer tray.

No, but yes. Flip them
It may or may not make a difference, but it makes me feel better to stir the pot.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
that was one full belly.
Better choice is to cut down lengthwise and maybe widthwise to fit your slicer tray.

No, but yes. Flip them
It may or may not make a difference, but it makes me feel better to stir the pot.
Thanks - haven't gotten the slicer yet, though after cutting this thing up, it's getting clearer that I'll need one :)

Reactions: Fueling Around
Here's another silly question :)

Once the curing is done, I had planned on hot smoking the pieces, doing a partial freeze to cut individual slices, and then finally vacuum-sealing sets of pre-sliced bacon. That should give me the flexibility to pull out what I need and just reheat on a griddle etc.

Anybody do it differently?

I don't know about your question but did you sneak into my kitchen to work these bellies? We appear to have the same granite and cabinets, even the flooring is laid out the same...lol.

God luck with these, I have always wanted to try bacon. I don't think I would have been as brave as starting with a giant one from Rest Depo...maybe a Coscto one.

• Haha
I don't know about your question but did you sneak into my kitchen to work these bellies? We appear to have the same granite and cabinets, even the flooring is laid out the same...lol.

God luck with these, I have always wanted to try bacon. I don't think I would have been as brave as starting with a giant one from Rest Depo...maybe a Coscto one.
Small world :) The belly was cheap enough that I figured WTH.

Reactions: clifish

Once the curing is done, I had planned on hot smoking the pieces, doing a partial freeze to cut individual slices, and then finally vacuum-sealing sets of pre-sliced bacon. That should give me the flexibility to pull out what I need and just reheat on a griddle etc.

I vac seal my bacon in 1 kg slabs. I don't always use the bacon as slices.

JC :emoji_cat:

Good method.
I find it is easier to cut slices from larger slabs.
We're empty nesters so a smaller package of bacon works better for us.
You can package the last couple inches of the slab to save for soups, etc.

Anybody have suggestions on cutting off the skin?
A fillet knife will take that skin off quite easily. I cut my belly into pieces that are the same length as store bought bacon. It needs to fit into your frying pan, too short or too long makes for a more difficult fry IMHO .Of course you brine container length and type of grinder also need to be considered when doing your cut to length. Have fun!

I've been continuing to read the myriad of opinions on how long to cure my 15+ lbs of pork belly. Does pulling it at 10 days vs. 14 make much of a difference? I cut it into 4
pieces. The part on the right is the ribs(?) I had to filet off.

. bacon1.jpg bacon2.jpg

I've been continuing to read the myriad of opinions on how long to cure my 15+ lbs of pork belly. Does pulling it at 10 days vs. 14 make much of a difference? I cut it into 4 pieces.
Wet brine and non injected belly takes time to cure based on a few parameters.
I use Dr. Blonder calculators. Salt Brining & Nitrite curing

I have been giving mine 2 weeks. First week just in the brine, then I cut into thirds and add seasoning/flavors to the brine. At 14 days I let dry in the refrigerator, add more seasoning/flavors then smoke at 175 to 200 over apple or cherry wood to 145 IT. Then I freeze and slice as needed.

I have been giving mine 2 weeks. First week just in the brine, then I cut into thirds and add seasoning/flavors to the brine. At 14 days I let dry in the refrigerator, add more seasoning/flavors then smoke at 175 to 200 over apple or cherry wood to 145 IT. Then I freeze and slice as needed.
Do you just throw in the seasonings into the brine, or are you rubbing it onto the belly and then putting back in the brine? And what do you use - I tend to like pepper and garlic, but open to other ideas :)!

Do you just throw in the seasonings into the brine, or are you rubbing it onto the belly and then putting back in the brine? And what do you use - I tend to like pepper and garlic, but open to other ideas :)!

At that point I cut the belly into thirds and I rub it into the belly and then back into the bring. I have used garlic and brown sugar, Chinese five spice powder, hoisin sauce, maple syrup and a variety of the rubs I have here.

At that point I cut the belly into thirds and I rub it into the belly and then back into the bring. I have used garlic and brown sugar, Chinese five spice powder, hoisin sauce, maple syrup and a variety of the rubs I have here.
Thanks - do you think putting on rub now (after 7 days) and then putting on more rub before smoking is too much?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky