My 3yr old ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemaster

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Germany
This is my modified ECB.
I made the usual mods. Top vent, added vents and legs on charcoal pan and moved smoker legs to the outside.

My charcoal pan wasn't the most stable so I use a Smokey Joe bottom as a charcoal pan.

The Smokey Joe is higher than the modified ECB charcoal pan. I had to raise my ECB a couple of inches so the charcoal wasn't too close to the water pan. A friend of mine made the new legs.

Top Vent
1000844yt1.jpg

The threaded rods made for an unstable pan
1000843ei4.jpg

Vented charcoal pan
1000842wl1.jpg

Smokey Joe vents and legs are better
1000812fd8.jpg

1000813lp7.jpg

New longer legs. Original in the front
1000837jc4.jpg

Lit and loaded Minion method
1000817hp1.jpg

I use a large pizza pan to catch ashes
1000838ni8.jpg

Left: Taylor remote thermometer. I use it for smoker temps. Right: Taylor for meat temp.
1000846kx8.jpg

My addition. She's got 3 more racks in the top section. Still need to work on temp control. Only got to 176 degrees F at the top during a test cook. The top rack in the bottom section was 250F.
Any recommendations??
1000840fb5.jpg

I also have a Charbroil Silver Smoker. I made the normal mods (baffle, lowered smokestack, seal gaps, charcoal basket and tuning plates), I'll post pics.

Larry, I can get lump charcoal here, but the pieces are pretty small (fall through my charcoal grate) and it's expensive. I've been looking for a better local supplier. The German charcoal isn't the best. Alot of pressed wood and fillers.
I use Royal Oak charcoal and oak wood most of the time. I'll use just wood on my next smoke.

Mabey you need an insulating blanket around the middle and make sure its foil backed so that you can't set it on fire. I beleive that some of the temp problems you are having are due to heat loss in the 'chimney' modification and the insulation may help. Good luck and happy smoking!!

Thanks for the tip. I may end up cutting the extension down by half and see how that works.

That thing is huge. Probably the reason for the temp variance. Try the welding blanket, if it works, gold. If not, you'll probably need to shorten it. But try the blanket first, then shorten it by a few inches at a time. It will take time, but could well be worth the extra time involved.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky