My 1st batch of Bacon with POPS Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fuimus

Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Western New York
Hi Folks,

Here is a pic of my first batch of bacon made with Pops Brine.  It is going on 23 hours now of smoke.  I started out at 110 degrees and my Venturi Cold smoker with Apple wood chips.and held that for 15 hours.  Then I turned off the Pipe burner except for the pilot light  and lit the A-Maze-N smoker.  Temp has dropped to 64 degrees and I have only burned through one trough off the A-Maze-N

I let the bacon sit in the Brine for 14 days.  I think on my next batch I am going to give the brine a stir every other day.

I am totally impressed with the A-Maze-N

Looks great. No need to stir brine unless it wasn't all disolved to begin with. Waiting for taste test results and end results!

Looks great. No need to stir brine unless it wasn't all disolved to begin with. Waiting for taste test results and end results!
Not stirring makes me feel better dave17a.  I was going to let them rest for two days but I couldnt wait and did a taste test yesterday and it is by far better than my dry rub process. Salty but not to much with that nice sweet flavor.  I will post some pics after we slice up a slab.  I intend to keep the slabs whole until needed

Mmmmm...... bacon !!!!

Nice looking pit also!
Thanks Foamheart.  I wanted to build a smoke house but ran out of room so I improvised and put my cooker where my Jacuzzi used to be

Not stirring makes me feel better dave17a.  I was going to let them rest for two days but I couldnt wait and did a taste test yesterday and it is by far better than my dry rub process. Salty but not to much with that nice sweet flavor.  I will post some pics after we slice up a slab.  I intend to keep the slabs whole until needed

Thanks Foamheart.  I wanted to build a smoke house but ran out of room so I improvised and put my cooker where my Jacuzzi used to be

I understand, you've got to get your priorities straight ......... LOL Pit first, then wet-bar, and THEN the Jacuzzi!! Of course the Jacuzzi gets bumped again for the sausage making room.

Really Nice

That's a pretty load of bacon ya got there.

Don't forget to let it sit and smooth a day or two or 6 or 5 before slicing and storing. It really does make a lot of difference.
Foamheart,

I only slice what I need. It has been sitting for over a week and I have only put the slab I want to eat in the freezer so it slices better.  I got a feeling it's going to be gone before I know it once all my friends find out about it....Oh well!!!! guess I gotta start another batch :0)

5 star bacon! (Actually bacon gets and extra star so it's 6 stars)  Great rig.  Almost as impressive as  that bacon. 

B

Is all that smoke from the Amaz-N?  I've got one, and lighting both ends produces very little smoke.  I have a home built offset reverse flow, and I have the amazn setting on an inverted turkey pan with the slab of bacon lying on the grate about 6" above it, directly under the stack.  There is so little smoke, most of the time I can't see any coming out of the stack.  Last time I tried this, I gave up on the smoker and built a small fire in the offset and tried to keep the temp around 100, using oak, and it was terrific.  The first batch of maple sawdust lasted about 5 hours.  I just filled it and lit it again.  I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough of the sawdust burning at once, so this time I started it with a propane torch.  After 1 1/2 hrs, it is barely smoldering at each end.  I'm about to pull the slab, foil in the refer and try again tomorrow with wood.  Am I doing something wrong with the Amaz-n?

Just as an update to my last reply.  I called Todd @ amazn prods, and he explained that the one I have is much too small for my smoker.  He said he was gonna send me a toy to play with, and sent me a pellet smoker with 2# of apple pellets.  NO CHARGE.

It's 32 here this morning, but as soon as it warms up a bit, I'll start a chimney of charcoal, burn off the amazn and see how much smoke this new one makes.  Whether it does or not, you can't say anything bad about his customer service.  This is sure enough A-Maz-N!!!

I'll post how it works out.

The AMNPS is the best and Every once in awhile when I order pellets he'll throw in an extra bag. Good people. I got 1 more week till my bacon is ready and can't wait. GOOD LOOKIN BACON FUIMUS!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky