My 1960's Commercial SS Double Door Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ballagh

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Iowa
So I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for a Stainless Steel Commercial Fridge, and 2 days later I got a response.  Got a really good deal I think, $150.  It is a 1960's Puffer Hubbard Co fridge.  The front half of the outside is stainless (Doors and frame) and the back half is aluminum.  I had originally thought the inside was stainless but after cleaning it up and starting to tear it down I realized it was Aluminum on the inside.  :(  So now I am thinking about tearing the inner cabinet out and building a new one.  By the time I patch the hole where the light was and fill in the holes where the rack tracks are I might as well tear it out and do it right and build some supports in to strengthen the new racks. The exsiting cabinet is kind of free floating and slides right out since I tore out the divider and flanges. Planning on being able to do a hog in there along with lots of bacon :)

Plan on installing:

Smoke Daddy Pellet Assembly

Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G.

2 Maverick Wireless Dual Probe's

Table with granite slab on the side

Custom Paint job.But polishing up the Stainless on the front and leaving it that way.

McMasters Silicone Gaskets

Here are some pics of the before, and during progress.  Lots more to come.

Old ugly plastic

Insulation is in really good shape and will stay in place. 

Wheels have been installed in order to make this pig mobile :)

Removed the compressor and put some 100 pound full pull out drawer slides for pellet storage. Need to figure out a way to reattatch the SS drawer face to the angle iron box. 

More pics and progress to come :)

Just a quick thought on your storage roll out. How much weight will you put on the shelf? Caution you can create a forward tip situation when shelf is extended. Try stepping on edge of shelf with 50,75 or 100# pressure. If its only 20-40# of  stuff then probably not an issue.

Thanks for the heads up. This fridge is gonna weigh about 300 when done. I plan on putting a granite slab in the bottom of the cook chamber to help hold heat and cook my beans on. And all I plan on putting on the shelf is a 40 pound bag of pellets. It should have a very good low center of gravity :)

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

so I have decided to tear out the inner cabinet instead of patching all the holes and trimming out the inner cabinet to the frame.   the inner cabinet is made of aluminum and I didnt think they would hold much weight since I am makng steel expanded angle iron shelves.  going to get a sheet of 16 gauge steel and bend it into a new cabinet that should slide right in and meet the fridge face perfect.   still trying to decide if I should go electric or pellet pooper.  I kind of like the idea of it still kind of being a wood burner and not having to drag a 220v cord around and trying to find somewhere to plug it in if I smoke elsewhere besides the house.  more pic coming soon  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky