Mustard as binder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tkmitchell

Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
East Tennessee
I am going to be making pastrami from a brisket. I have read where people use yellow mustard to bind the rub and it adds no flavor to the finished product. Has anyone used a spicy brown mustard for the binder? If so did it impart some spice to the finished meat?

I have use the yellow, but not the spicy brown.
The yellow didn't impart any flavor.
I wouldn't think the spicy would as long as you keep it vary minimal amount.
Might even be good with pastrami if it did.

I have use the yellow, but not the spicy brown.
The yellow didn't impart any flavor.
I wouldn't think the spicy would as long as you keep it vary minimal amount.
Might even be good with pastrami if it did.

That is what I was thinking. Just checking if someone here has already tried it.

When I use mustard for binder, I thin it with dill pickle juice, and go very thin. Normally I would use yellow and I've only used brown mustard on prime rib roasts a couple of times. It still leaves no flavor.

I am going to be making pastrami from a brisket. I have read where people use yellow mustard to bind the rub and it adds no flavor to the finished product. Has anyone used a spicy brown mustard for the binder? If so did it impart some spice to the finished meat?
I use both types of mustard on all of my pastrami cooks as well as on pork spare ribs. The mustard imparts all the spices directly and the vinegar base helps to tenderize the surface. It is amazing that the mustard " disappears" during the smoke/cook process. The mustard allows pepper and other seasoning you might use to adhere to the finished product. I find that pastrami without the mustard to be bland without it. Try adding a little horseradish root to the mustard to really Jazz-it-up on the flavor profile. My 2 cents worth from what I do. Happy smoking !
HT

Last edited:
Its entirely subjective due to my palette not being that refined and I need a side-by-side to tell a diff, but I use Big Rick's Jalapeno Honey Mustard on pork and I think it adds some flavor. I stick to basic yellow mustard on beef.

20220220_165945.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky