Mustang Grapes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm only good at drinking it! But I will say it tends to get sweeter over time. Some of the older mulberry wine that was perfect when it was bottled, has gotten almost too sweet for us.

Ryan

GaryHibbert GaryHibbert Winemaking/brewing is much like BBQ and lots of stuff is hotly debated. I recall campden being the old school way to kill the yeast. Yes, K sorbate does as well. There are others. This is only needed if you plan to backsweeten. https://blog.homebrewing.org/how-to-stop-a-wine-fermentation/

I plan to get into wine but have only messed with it a few times. My parents have concord and niagara grapes... chef jimmyj chef jimmyj I have made dandelion wine. I would make it more often if I could source it. I even made this little tool to harvest it. I will share a little trick I learned. Use the juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime to 1G to get the pH right. Lots of folks are not aware of that. You skip that and it will not be anywhere as good. Been brewing since around 1993 and certified judge. If you use 71B it should be dry but not overly so. That strain is well known to be "just right". It is a well known good choice for fruit wines, meads, etc. It is also well known to make STELLAR hard cider. Champagne yeast is nuclear. It will ferment bone dry unless you add enough sugar to go beyond it's limits and that is like 17-18%ABV. Also gives off sulfur, zero flavor contribution, and takes longer to condition. Very "hot" and tastes like rocket fuel until a year or so.

IMO the reason most guys do not continue with the hobby is they often do not make the right choice of yeast and get subpar results. Using the right yeast basically guarantees success. https://www.txbrewing.com/blog/educational/mustang-grape-wine.html

• Wow
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky