Must have sweet potato casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sweet potato casserole

INGREDIENTS
•4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
•1/2 cup butter, melted
•1/3 cup milk
•1 cup white sugar (or brown if you prefer, I do)
•1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
•2 eggs, beaten
•1 cup light brown sugar
•1/2 cup all-purpose flour
•1/3 cup butter
•1 cup chopped pecans
•Optional ½ teaspoon cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease either a 9x13 inch baking dish or two pie plates (I like glass).

2.Boil potatoes till soft.

3.In a large bowl, mix together 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar (or brown if you prefer), vanilla extract, and eggs. Taste to make sure you like it. Add potatoes and mash together. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.

4.Bake a half hour or so until golden brown.

this was a little sweet for my taste but out of 10 people i was the only one who thought so.

Hi Buzzard
Here in Illinois we would pour it into a crust to bake and call it PIE! :lol:
Put some whipped cream on top and serve that puppy up. YUMMMY

Buzzard, I going to go out and dig some sweet potatoes this week coming up. Sounds great. If it is that sweet, might adjust the sugar a bit. Beer drinkers are not that well know as sweet eaters here but we certainly like out sweet potatoes. Any particular variety, like white, red, gold??.

im not sure if it makes a difference on the style i used red i guess (i didnt know there were different kinds of sweet potatoes, i just got the ones they sell in the store). yea i thought about cutting the sugar to 1/2 cup in the potatoes, but i was the only one who felt that way so ill cut it anyway next time and see what they say then. maybe 3/4 in the topping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky