Multiple pork butts in an MES 30 or any racked smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paulh1966

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
Benton, AR USA
I just recently made my first pulled pork (boston butt), 17 hours seems like a long time to only have one piece in there, especially because its easy to freeze pulled pork and eat it later. My question is do you put the second (or third)  butt on a rack above the first.  My thought about doing this was that a lot of drippings from the top one would fall on  the one below it  and may not form the nice bark or would cause a grease pile on the one below it.

I just recently made my first pulled pork (boston butt), 17 hours seems like a long time to only have one piece in there, especially because its easy to freeze pulled pork and eat it later. My question is do you put the second (or third)  butt on a rack above the first.  My thought about doing this was that a lot of drippings from the top one would fall on  the one below it  and may not form the nice bark or would cause a grease pile on the one below it.
That is not an issue. Load it up and enjoy.

Happy smoken.

David

I always use a drip pan underneath an especially juicy piece of meat to catch the drippins and that gets added back into the pulled whatever when ready to eat.....waste not, want not....Willie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky