multiple briskets ....a beginner is going to try it for a party this week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carol77

Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Hi experts...need some advice from you.... I have having 14 people over for dinner....I have a 4 shelf Master Built electric smoker.

I was going to try to do 2 salmon and 2 briskets..Am I cracy to attempt this for my first smoking experience?

Welcome your advise on how long to plan for the  Brisket and when to add the Salmon (if at all...is this too much?  Will the flavors colllide too much, do you think?

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Thats a pretty hefty undertaking for the first smoke and 14 guests!!

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I would suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Then use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

Hi Carol,

Sounds like fun!!!   I have always worked on the premise that if all goes sour on the smoker we can always call out for pizza!!!!  

Expect 60 to 90 minutes per pound for the brisket.  (remember advice from a newbie is worth every dollar you pay for it!!!)   There are some real pro's on this site and I am sure you will get a lot of good advice.

What kind of salmon are you planning on cooking?   I have normally done the large slabs (2 to 4 lb) of farm raised salmon.  Very easy to do. Make a "pan" out of foil for the salmon.  If you can find the brand of rub called "Rub with Love" for salmon, this has been very popular.  Another option is to add some fine chopped dill and garlic to melted butter and coat the salmon.  Use the rub or marinade right before you put on the smoker.   Give it very light smoke (some chips or 1 or 2 small chunks) and cook for 2 to 2-1/2 hours at 225 degree.

Good Luck and send in some pics!!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview. 
icon14.gif

One thing you are gonna need for sure, are a couple of good meat thermometers.  TIme is a good baseline to plan your smoke, but only internal meat temp dictates when it is done, especially for a newbie.  IMO plan your smoke so the brisketts are done a few hours before you want to serve them, this is for two main reasons: 1) the meat is done and you and your guest are not waiting on it (possibly for hours) and 2) it lets the meat rest and helps to redistribute the juices in the meat.  Just make sure if you finish it early, wrap it in foil if you have not already done so, and then wrap it in towels and place in a cooler, they will hold for several hours in a cooler.

Are you just doing flats or full packers.   IMO I would suggest doing flats, I am pretty sure you are gonna have PLENTY of meat for 14 people.

Yes it is a pretty good undertaking for a first smoke, not to mention you also have a new smoker to figure out too.

Good luck and don't forget the Q view.

Hi Rowdy,

I see you are on line.  Thanks for the great advice. Yes, I was thinking two brisket flats.  The more I see folks replies back to me, I am thinking, maybe I will do the salmon on the regular grill and just attempt the two briskets in the smoker.  I have a good meet thermometer.  If I have say 2  of the 6 to 7  pound briskets (I have already purchased the Jeff's rub receipe, so was planning on using that.  IN this way, I will use two of the four racks for the brisket..little less ambitious than trying to smoke the salmon and brisket and worry about the timing...

SO with two briskets, say 6 to 7 lbs each....how much time (ballpark) should I plan for smoke/cook time do you think?  Appreciate your advice for sure!

Carol

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Good idea on grilling the salmon, I don't think you would want the salmon dripping on the brisket.

Carol,  

Sorry went to bed before i saw  your post, I would plan on about 10 hrs smoke time and a couple of rest so I would start about 12 hrs before, others may disagree.  I think 180 - 190 IT is good to pull especially if you are gonna cooler it, because it will continue to cook even after you pull it. If it goes up until you are ready to serve it then just give it at least 15-30 min to rest, but I think you will be good.  This what has worked for me in the past, but I am by no means a brisket guru.

Never done salmon on the smoker or the grill so I can't help you there.

Carol,  

Sorry went to bed before i saw  your post, I would plan on about 10 hrs smoke time and a couple of rest so I would start about 12 hrs before, others may disagree.  I think 180 - 190 IT is good to pull especially if you are gonna cooler it, because it will continue to cook even after you pull it. If it goes up until you are ready to serve it then just give it at least 15-30 min to rest, but I think you will be good.  This what has worked for me in the past, but I am by no means a brisket guru.

Never done salmon on the smoker or the grill so I can't help you there.
I agree with R.R.. I normally smoke 12lb and larger packers with fat side up for about 16 hours or more. I normally try for an IT of 185* to 195*. Just remember you will probably hit a stall, if ya have any problems just post them during your smoke and hopefully a pro can walk you thru anything that may arise!!! 

All good advice.  Yes I would definately leave the smoker just for the butts, and do the salmon on another grill or smoker.

Give your Masterbuilt Electric Smoker  (MES) a good 30 minutes at least to preheat, and preheat to 20 degrees more than you are going to smoke it.  So If you are going to smoke at 225, preheat to 245-250.  Once you open the door put in cool meat, insert probes etc you will loose alot of heat.  Turn it back down to desired temp once you get going.

Dont open the door very much during the cooking process, rely on your meat probes to let you know whats going on.  10 hours of cook time is a good figure.  Like others said, you can foil, wrap in towels and put in a cooler for probably 4 hours and it will still be HOT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky