MTQ VS Pink Curing Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alshrink

Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
I am looking at the famous Mortons salami recipe on their website.  I would rather use pink curing salt than tender quick.  Anyone know the equivalencies?    It call for 1.5 tsp of MTQ for 1 lb of meat.  

I am looking at the famous Mortons salami recipe on their website.  I would rather use pink curing salt than tender quick.  Anyone know the equivalencies?    It call for 1.5 tsp of MTQ for 1 lb of meat.  
I believe that would be 1 tsp of Cure #1 per 5 pounds of meat.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me.  I use TQ.

If you replace TQ with Cure #1, you will want to add some salt---Possibly up to an equal amount to the amount of TQ your are replacing.

Bear

If you want to use Cure #1 instead of TQ, you'll add .25% of the total meat/fat weight in Cure #1. When it comes to salt, you're going to get a difference in preference of the final product. The range usually being 2.5-3.0 % of the total weight. I'm usually adding 2.75% to my stuff and I've been happy with it so far. 

I realize I might be alittle late on this one. Did it already get made?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky